Stress Engineering Intern
Palo Alto, CA /
Kittyhawk – Interns /
Here at Kittyhawk in Palo Alto, we are developing ground breaking all-electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kittyhawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
We are seeking an undergraduate, graduate student, or recent grad to join the Aerostructures Stress Department for a 6 month internship starting in January 2022. This position will assist with stress analysis tasks, including generating Finite Element Models, conducting basic hand analysis, and validating design/analysis with tests.
- Own the analysis and sizing of the Vertical Tail for a new, clean sheet design
- Conduct basic structural/stress analysis on secondary structure components on an as needed basis
- Assist with structural tests including conducting analysis and generating test plans for structural tests for element, substructure, and component level structures
- Currently at least a junior or senior currently pursuing a BS in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or other relevant discipline
- Must be able to work full time (40 hours per week) for 24 weeks during the winter and summer terms
- A strong understanding of load paths
- Understanding of major aircraft structural components and their traditional purposes in the structural design
- Clear, concise communicator capable of distilling complex problems to key concepts and trade-offs
- Pursuing an MS or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or other relevant discipline
- Experience with Matlab, Python, or relevant programming languages
- Familiarity with composite stress analysis (e.g., CLT)
- Experience analyzing structures for a student design/build project
- Experience with an industry standard FEA solver (NASTRAN, Abaqus, etc.) and pre/post processor (FEMAP, PATRAN, etc.)
We are located in Palo Alto, with great access to nice outdoor spaces. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision, and commuter assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, happy hours, and many more.
Please note that as of August 15, 2021, all persons working on Kittyhawk company premises must provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination. Applicants may seek an exception through the reasonable accommodation process.
Kittyhawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kittyhawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.