Hardware Technical Project Manager
Palo Alto, CA /
Heaviside – Hardware Engineering /
Here at Kitty Hawk in Palo Alto, we are developing ground breaking all-electric Vertical Take off and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
Kitty Hawk is currently looking for a Technical Project Manager to join the Hardware Engineering team responsible for the avionics and propulsion systems of the Heaviside aircraft. The team develops the majority of the subsystems (flight computer, high voltage battery, motor controller, etc.) in-house. You will work with talented electrical, mechanical, software, ground, and flight test engineers to enable the team to operate at peak efficiency.
- Work with the hardware team to understand and set priorities (e.g., understanding the requirements for crewed flight)
- Lead the planning process, including long and short-range schedule, ticketing, and documentation, balancing long term goals with short term priorities, and revising as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements
- Identify inter-team bottlenecks and dependencies and ensure strong communication between teams
- Self-driven with an analytical mind - a strong will to learn is an absolute requirement
- Highly energetic with a flexible attitude towards critical tasks
- Excellent organizational, communication, and documentation skills
- Experience working with hardware / software development methodologies (e.g., agile, waterfall, etc.)
- Familiarity with Jira & Confluence (or similar tools)
- Bachelor's degree in a technical or engineering field
- Understanding of risk management approaches and tracking (e.g., FMEA)
- Experience working in a regulated environment such as medical devices, aerospace, etc.
- Aviation and/or flight related hobbies or pursuits
Within 3 months you will:
- Become familiar with Kitty Hawk’s hardware and software development procedures
- Learn about the Heaviside aircraft’s operation and design
- Own and maintain the Hardware team’s schedule and roadmap
Within 6 months you will:
- Provide guidance to improve efficiency within the hardware group and broader team
- Utilize a detailed understanding of the aircraft, systems, and their interactions to identify schedule and programmatic risks to the project
We welcome you to apply even if you don’t match every requirement posted for this role. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you are passionate about working on the next evolution in aviation and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply. Diverse backgrounds and experiences promote innovation and our goal is to build a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
All of our team whose roles allow them to work remotely are doing so, and will continue to do so until we’re able to be back in the office. For teams that are not able to work remotely we’re making every accommodation possible to provide a safe working environment, and ensuring we meet all state and county guidelines.
Our headquarters is in Palo Alto and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 40% company matching (no vesting period), flight lesson subsidy, education assistance, and company-sponsored social events. For those working onsite, Kitty Hawk also offers commuter assistance, and free drinks and snacks.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.