Software Technical Project Manager - Scrum Master
Palo Alto, CA /
Heaviside – Software Engineering /
Here at Kittyhawk in Palo Alto, we are developing ground breaking all-electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kittyhawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
We are looking for an experienced Software Technical Project Manager to join the software team for the Heaviside project. The team is developing all the embedded software within the aircraft as well as all the controls algorithms and software applications for ground operations. Your primary responsibilities will be to work closely with our software director, PMO team and other key stakeholders to define schedules, opportunities/risks, dependencies, critical paths and to manage, supervise and track priorities and daily activities of the 3 different groups in the software team. You’ll have a role of a scrum master in our tailored agile environment. You'll also have to collaborate with cross functional teams within R&D to facilitate key decisions, understand dependencies, communicate priorities and status of deliverables, and also contribute to the development of long and short term roadmaps for the Heaviside program. You’ll be joining a diverse group of highly talented engineers that are solving some of the most complicated problems for the future of transportation.
- Work with the software team to understand and set priorities based on the program needs
- Work with the PMO team to provide and administer standard processes, tools, templates, and metrics
- Participate in the planning activities for the program and the software team including long term and short term deliverables
- Scrum master for the 3 groups within software and lead activities such as stand ups, release planning, sprint planning, backlog grooming and other meetings necessary to keep stay on track
- Track risks, opportunities and dependencies between internal and external teams, including Flight Test team needs and system integration process
- Support SDLC processes and ensure those processes are followed
- Maintain a well groomed and up to date backlog consistently
- Maintain up to date documentation such as process description, release notes and defect list
- Assist the teams to ensure efficient and effective implementation of changes
- 5+ year industry experience in a similar role
- Experience working in a fast pace and agile environment
- Self-driven with an analytical mind and can work independently
- Strong understanding of risk management and requirement based development
- Excellent organizational, communication, and documentation skills
- Familiar with Jira and Confluence (or similar tools) and requirements management tools
- Familiar with code repositories such as git and being able to read code
- Comfort with changes and ambiguity, and ability to build structure where needed
- Bachelor's degree in a technical or engineering field
- Experience working with both software and hardware engineering teams
- Experience working in a regulated environment such as aerospace or medical
- Familiar with Python and C/C++
- Familiar with CI tools and build systems
- Passion for aviation and the future of transportation
Within 3 months you will:
- Become familiar with Kitty Hawk’s software development process
- Learn about the Heaviside aircraft’s operation and design
- Own and maintain the Software team’s schedule and roadmap
- Run standups and sprint planning meetings
Within 6 months you will:
- Own and maintain the software release plan
- Run release planning and backlog grooming meetings
- Provide guidance to improve efficiency within the software team and broader
- Be knowledgeable with the program timeline and priorities and drive the software timeline and priorities accordingly
We welcome you to apply even if you don’t match every requirement posted for this role. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you are passionate about working on the next evolution in aviation and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply. Diverse backgrounds and experiences promote innovation and our goal is to build a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
Please note that as of August 15, 2021, all persons working on Kittyhawk company premises must provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination. Applicants may seek an exception through the reasonable accommodation process.
Our headquarters is in Palo Alto and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 40% company matching (no vesting period), flight lesson subsidy, education assistance, and company-sponsored social events. For those working onsite, Kittyhawk also offers commuter assistance, and free drinks and snacks.
Kittyhawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kittyhawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Kittyhawk is an E-Verify employer.