Software Engineer - Simulation
Palo Alto, CA /
Heaviside – Software Engineering /
Here at Kittyhawk in Palo Alto, we are developing ground breaking all-electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kittyhawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
We are looking for an experienced Simulation Software Engineer to join Kittyhawk’s Guidance Navigation & Controls team. Your primary responsibility will be developing and maintaining the software-in-the-loop simulation environment and supporting integration with our hardware-in-the-loop platform. You will work closely with our Aerostructures team in developing high fidelity aerodynamic models of a tiltrotor aircraft for all phases of flight. You’ll also work closely with our ground and flight test teams to perform system identification tests to validate our simulator models.
- Maintain and improve software-in-the-loop simulation capabilities
- Develop aerodynamic models for a tilt rotor aircraft that are valid in all phases of flight
- Perform system identification on flight data to validate and improve aerodynamic models
- Develop high fidelity models of sensors, actuators, and other subsystems
- Write flight test plans and analyze flight test data
- BS or higher in Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, or related fields and 3+ years of relevant experience
- Deep understanding of flight dynamics, aerodynamics, and simulation methods
- Experience with vortex lattice methods and other low-order modeling methods (e.g., AVL, XROTOR, RCAS, etc.)
- Strong programming skills in C/C++ and Python in a Linux environment
- Experience with robotics, autonomous vehicles, or drones operating in a real-world environment
Desired / Nice to have:
- Knowledge of CFD tools
- Experience with safety-critical software (DO-178C, MISRA, etc.)
- Basic understanding of modern control theory (stability analysis, Kalman filtering)
- Experience programming in Haskell
- Passion for aviation and the future of transportation
We welcome you to apply even if you don’t match every requirement posted for this role. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you are passionate about working on the next evolution in aviation and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply. Diverse backgrounds and experiences promote innovation and our goal is to build a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
All of our team whose roles allow them to work remotely are doing so, and will continue to do so until we’re able to be back in the office. For teams that are not able to work remotely we’re making every accommodation possible to provide a safe working environment, and ensuring we meet all state and county guidelines.
Our headquarters is in Palo Alto and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 40% company matching (no vesting period), flight lesson subsidy, education assistance, and company-sponsored social events. For those working onsite, Kittyhawk also offers commuter assistance, and free drinks and snacks.
Kittyhawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kittyhawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Kittyhawk is an E-Verify employer.