Senior Electrical Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Flyer – Hardware
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
As a member of Kitty Hawk’s Flyer team, you will work on a variety of projects from vehicle avionics and power systems to ground infrastructure. We design/build/test/fly in rapid iteration, so you’ll be a energetic, adaptable engineer who can make sound judgements with limited information. You will work on all levels of the design, from high-level system architecture to SMT rework. Your time will be split between design, bench, and flight test as we accelerate the future of aviation.
You should be able to work independently and determine the most fruitful direction to move in, while being an efficient communicator, avid documenter, and integrated team member.
You should be able to describe your contributions to previous personal, academic, open source and/or professional projects that you are most proud of.
Within 3 months you will:
- Become familiar with our aircraft’s avionics, propulsion system, and radio communications.
- Help integrate, debug, and test electronics on our aircraft from the lab to the field.
- Witness eVTOL flight and perhaps even fly yourself!
Within 6 months you will:
- Take ownership of a large subsystem. Leading support for current hardware while planning and executing revisions for added functionality or optimized operation.
- Help guide architectural discussions for our current and future vehicles.
- Mentor junior engineers on best practices and robust design.
You must have a majority of, but not all, of the following experience and skills:
- Architecture design for redundancy and fault tolerance
- Digital and analog schematic circuit design, PCB layout, board bring-up, and design verfication
- Design and test for reliability in high vibration and high temperature environments
- Design for manufacture both for PCBAs and top level assemblies
- Noise emission reduction and susceptibility prevention
- Thermal management
- Scripting and automation in Python
- Linux command line
Ideally you would also have the following:
- Power electronics (>80V) and motor control
- High voltage battery packs and battery management systems
- RF test and debug
- Real-time control theory and implementation
- Cadence OrCAD schematic and Mentor Graphics PADS PCB design
- SOLIDWORKS 3D modeling
- Verilog or VHDL FPGA RTL design
- Embedded C programming
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, charitable giving match, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.