Service and Integration Technician
Mountain View, CA
Flyer – Manufacturing
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
Led by Sikorsky prize winner and Guinness world record holder Todd Reichert, the flyer team has spent countless hours meticulously designing, building and testing Kitty Hawk’s first personal flying vehicle. Flyer is currently embarking on a journey from the breathtaking freedom of flight, to a world free from traffic.
We are currently seeking motivated service and integration technicians to join our production and service team. You will support aircraft integration, maintenance, operation, modifications, and repairs of electric aircraft. You will work with other technicians and engineers to install, remove or modify systems and perform all maintenance and inspections. You take initiative, creatively solve problems, and are good with the fine details. You love being challenged with unique issues, and want to be an integral part of the next great thing in aviation.
Within 3 months you will:
- Become familiar with the entire aircraft and its systems
- Troubleshoot and repair fleet and flight test aircraft
- Learn about day-to-day operations of our team and build relationships with other core team members
- Support service, production and flight test operations
Within 6 months you will:
- Assist in retrofit and installation of engineering systems changes
- Travel to locations to assist in testing (approx. 40% travel)
- Have sign-off authority for an aircraft to be deemed flight-worthy
- Acquire more in-depth knowledge of aircraft subsystems
Within 12 months you will:
- Become subject matter expert on the aircraft and the individual systems to be able to operate independently.
- Provide feedback on new products with helpful suggestions for changes to aircraft architecture based on service experience
- Assist with training new technicians on the aircraft and its systems
- A self starter that can fill his/her time with productive tasks to help the entire test team
- Willing to work a flexible schedule
- Great mechanical aptitude
- Ability to understand and comprehend assigned tasks
- Ability to work with engineers and understand technical and mechanical drawings
- Flight line handling and comfortable with computer operation
- Excellent mechanical systems troubleshooting skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience repairing and inspecting composites
- R&D background
- FAA Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) Certification
- Military experience
- Wire harness routing/repair experience
- Knowledge of Google Docs and Sheets
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, charitable giving match, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.