Senior Manufacturing Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Special Projects – Special Projects
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for a manufacturing engineer to join a yet-to-be-announced project. In this role, you will have the opportunity to take a significant breadth of prototype hardware from the stage of functional one-off to efficient volume production.
Within 3 months you will:
- Document existing designs in support of consistent manufacture
- Support design changes based on ground and flight test learnings
Within 6 months you will:
- Provide guidance on design revisions to support ease of manufacture
- Optimize subsystems for cost and manufacturability
- Manage supplier relationships
Within 9 months you will:
- Manage complex and interdependent production schedules
- Develop and manage traceability
- Work on incorporation of more advanced processes for production of critical components
- Develop staff and improve skills among existing staff to support higher rate production
You must have a majority of, but not all, of the following experience and skills:
- Organizational ability to manage complex timelines involving dozens of components
- A background in design for manufacturing of electromechanical systems, preferably including power electronics. This includes enclosures, harnessing, connectors, PCBs, thermal bonding, etc
- Quality control and test
- Basic cost estimation and BOM management
- Excellent mechanical CAD skills
- Ability to create and interpret engineering drawings
- Must be hands on with a good mechanical intuition
Ideally you would also have the following:
- Experience in lightweight composites manufacture
- Experience in CNC machining, sheet metal fabrication, and other relevant metalwork
- Flight related hobbies or pursuits, including as a pilot, hang glider, paraglider, windsurfer, RC aircraft builder, or other
- Other engineering related hobbies or job experience that add to the breadth of your engineering perspective
We are located in Mountain View and Palo Alto, near Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.