Senior Systems Engineer - Energy Storage System
Palo Alto, CA /
Heaviside – Propulsion /
Here at Kittyhawk in Palo Alto, we are developing ground breaking all-electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kittyhawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
In this role, you will be a key member of Heaviside’s propulsion team, responsible for owning and managing electric propulsion system requirements, V&V documentation per formal change, and review and release processes. You will work closely with the integrated cross-functional team and contribute to the propulsion system architecture, design, certification, and manufacturing.
You should be familiar with all, proficient with most and expert at some of the following, in no particular order:
- Experience with electrical propulsion or powertrain systems: charging, electric motors, and HV battery systems
- Industry experience in the development of battery systems including requirements definition, battery layout, cooling system, BMS, and HV component selection
- Experience using ARP4754A development process or equivalent
- Knowledgeable of ARP4761
- Knowledge of technical guidelines for batteries in the automotive or aviation industries
- Experience with Built-in-Test(BIT) and Build-in-Test equipment(BITE) on system fault detection and management
- Experience working on type certification of an aircraft from start to finish under any of 14 CFR Part 23/25/27/33/35/36 or equivalent regulations
- Hands on experience with DO-178, DO-254, DO-160, and DO-311A
- Strong experience with energy storage system modeling and analysis
- Knowledge of safety and reliability processes; FTA and FME(C)A, derating analysis, DFM/DFT, mechanical packaging, thermal and cooling design, etc.
Within 3 months you will:
- Become familiar with the energy storage system architecture including cell, pack, and charging systems
- Decompose, author, and review complex sets of requirements with traceability at two or more levels for the energy storage system (ESS) as per ARP4754
- Evaluate the ESS architecture, analyses, and trade off studies
Within 6 months you will:
- Ensure requirements comply with ASTM, and other regulation and industry requirements or MIL standard
- Develop FMEA, integration, and validation plan
- Work with a multidisciplinary team to define architecture, functional, interface, operation, physical environment, reliability, manufacturing, and maintenance requirements as well as perform risk assessments
- Work with engineering teams to support design, interfaces, control, and integration
- Specify and support the system validation and verification according to acceptable means of compliance
- Improve development and production processes
We welcome you to apply even if you don’t match every requirement posted for this role. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you are passionate about working on the next evolution in aviation and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply. Diverse backgrounds and experiences promote innovation and our goal is to build a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
All of our team whose roles allow them to work remotely are doing so, and will continue to do so until we’re able to be back in the office. For teams that are not able to work remotely we’re making every accommodation possible to provide a safe working environment, and ensuring we meet all state and county guidelines.
Our headquarters is in Palo Alto and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 40% company matching (no vesting period), flight lesson subsidy, education assistance, and company-sponsored social events. For those working onsite, Kittyhawk also offers commuter assistance, and free drinks and snacks.
Kittyhawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kittyhawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Kittyhawk is an E-Verify employer.