Senior Embedded Software Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Flyer – Software
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
- Own the platform/infrastructure software for Flyer; architect and implement the embedded software that runs the avionics and control systems of the aircraft, and ensure that sensors and communication peripherals work right
- Work with the EEs to bring up and debug new hardware
- Develop robust bootloaders for updating software on a distributed processor architecture
- Implement drivers in C/C++ and write test scripts to verify them across a variety of operating scenarios
- Support algorithm implementation, system integration, test, and debug
- Identify points of weakness in the software and electronics; help develop plans for improving and robustifying the product
- BS (MS preferred) in CS/CE/EE or related discipline
- Experience developing and testing embedded system software for real time applications/robotic systems
- Strong C/C++ microcontroller experience, preferably including development with ARM processors
- Ability to review schematics and read data-sheets; experience supporting hardware bringup and debug
- Experience with customizing board support packages
- Experience developing and testing bootloaders
- Familiarity with U-Boot and building/customizing kernels and kernel drivers
- Experience implementing robust drivers for basics comms protocols (UART, ethernet/lwIP, I2C, SPI, etc.)
- Familiarity with Linux
- Familiarity with some scripting language (Python preferred)
- Experience with automated software development processes and modern tools (Git, CI)
- Team player without an ego, passionate about aviation, and doing whatever it takes to deliver value
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, charitable giving match, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.