Vehicle Test Engineering Manager
Mountain View, CA
Flyer – Flight Test
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
At Kitty Hawk we learn by testing. The Flight Test team has rigorously validated the Flyer vehicle through 25,000+ flights at our test sites in the Bay Area & Las Vegas. As a Test Engineering Manager you will be the technical leader of the team. Your team speeds up the iteration cycle of the product by delivering actionable insights to HW & SW Engineering. As a member of the Flight Test Staff, you will influence the strategic direction of the test organization, and the entire company.
This role is based in Mountain View, CA.
Within 3 months you will:
- Travel to each test site to watch the team perform validation & developmental testing on Flyer eVTOL vehicle
- Get to know your stellar team of Flight Test Technicians, & Flight Test Engineers
- Participate in your first Flyer trivia happy-hour (What is the 2 letter abbreviation for Montana?)
Within 6 months you will:
- Collaborate with Engineering to automate release testing flight routines, eliminating the variable of human input
Within 12 months you will:
- Lead the testing of our next generation vehicle that will broaden our market and grow the business
- Create OKRs/KPIs to measure the performance of your team
- Responsible for growing and developing a team of Test Engineers & Technicians
- Effectively assigning tasks in line with overarching team priorities & individual’s skills
- Building a strong culture of safety in the team
- Lead daily test operations, operate test consoles, direct technician work and coordinate with internal stakeholders
- Collaborate with Engineering to define layer testing regime to validate changes in development, proto and through release
- Instill scientific rigor into test planning & execution, ensuring that independent variables are controlled such that results are repeatable & representative
- Review test reports authored by the test team to ensure high-quality findings
- Work with Engineering leadership to set the technical direction for the team, and anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges in the program
- Be an integral part of our test-to-learn culture, feeding back meaningful insights to engineering stakeholders
- 5 or more years of experience leading test teams for complex systems with a wide-variety of sub-systems and components
- Prior experience with testing across complete product lifecycle - from early development through field sustenance
- Prior experience building high-performing, diverse teams
- Willing to travel to domestic test sites, about 5 days per month
- Experience testing vehicles: aircraft, marine, or automotive
- Previous experience in high-growth operations or startup experience
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, charitable giving match, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.