Reliability Engineering Manager
Palo Alto, CA
Heaviside – Ground test
Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
When you develop aircraft, the hardest challenge is growing reliability and as a consequence, safety. We are looking for a Reliability Engineering Manager to join a yet-to-be-announced project.
In this role, you will be primarily responsible for a rigorous ground testing program that is used to validate hardware from very isolated component level on up to fully integrated systems. You will have to not only manage testing completion, but take part in and manage the design of many tests that have not been done before, and often have interesting and challenging constraints.
- Management of the test pipeline for every component of the aircraft
- Design input to support testability, design for robustness, and schedule planning
- Making sure that tests are appropriately documented, and that test learnings find their way into design and manufacture, even if the parts technically pass
- Along with other engineering leadership, fly/no fly decisions
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant STEM field
- 2+ years experience as the owner of a challenging technical problem
- Additionally, 5+ years experience in managing a 5-10 person team
- A working knowledge of the relevant engineering disciplines
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- A background with safety critical systems
- Flight related hobbies and interests, such as a private pilot’s license, aircraft homebuilding, RC flying and competing, etc.
- Previous work on aerospace programs
We are located in Palo Alto and Hollister, with great access to nice outdoor spaces as well as to airports at both locations. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.