Palo Alto, CA /
Heaviside – Aerostructures /
Here at Kitty Hawk in Palo Alto, we are developing ground breaking all-electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
We are seeking an industrial designer to join our growing aerostructures team. This position reports to the director of Aerostructures and is a unique opportunity to be involved early in the conceptual phase of the aircraft and shape design directions. The role will contribute directly to shaping the user experience for our next generation Heaviside vehicle. Working within the aircraft specifications, the designer will own the exterior and interior design for the vehicle. A background in mechanical engineering is also desired. This position requires a mature designer with a track record of user-centered design application. You will work with the Heaviside engineering team as well as with Kitty Hawk’s communications and marketing team to develop a consistent brand identity.
- Collaborate with the product team to align design language with product strategy
- Create a consistent design identity for the aircraft and supporting infrastructure
- Own aircraft interior and exterior industrial design
- Support design of aircraft infrastructure including landing pad, charging system, and user-interface of flight booking software
- Work with the engineering team to marry aerodynamics, structures and industrial design constraints
- Create compelling and realistic renderings to communicate product concepts to internal and external stakeholders
- Lead/ support product design discussions and brainstorming sessions
- Develop 3D styling surfaces/ Class A surfaces
- Tell the story of the overall product experience
- BS in industrial design, product design, mechanical engineering, or related field
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in an industrial design or product design position
- Solid understanding of mechanical engineering (formal training or hands on experience)
- Strong focus on human centered design principles
- Fluency in 3D modeling tools, e.g. Solidworks, Rhino, etc.
- Experience developing consistent design languages (colors, fabrics, shapes, etc.)
- Experience creating high quality renderings for vehicle interiors and exteriors
- Hands on experience building simple mockups
- Good visual storytelling abilities
- Experience navigating engineering constraints to deliver workable industrial design solutions
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage concurrent projects of varying complexity from initial vision through delivery
- Experience designing interiors for small aircraft, eVTOL, or other vehicles
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Experience with Class-A surfacing
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and adapt to shifting priorities and timelines
- A love of aviation or flight related hobbies such as a pilot, hang glider, paraglider, windsurfer, RC aircraft builder, or other
We welcome you to apply even if you don’t match every requirement posted for this role. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you are passionate about working on the next evolution in aviation and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply. Diverse backgrounds and experiences promote innovation and our goal is to build a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
All of our team whose roles allow them to work remotely are doing so, and will continue to do so until we’re able to be back in the office. For teams that are not able to work remotely we’re making every accommodation possible to provide a safe working environment, and ensuring we meet all state and county guidelines.
Our headquarters is in Palo Alto and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 40% company matching (no vesting period), flight lesson subsidy, education assistance, and company-sponsored social events. For those working onsite, Kitty Hawk also offers commuter assistance, and free drinks and snacks.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.