Senior Mechatronics Engineer - Recovery Systems
Mountain View, CA
Special Projects – Special Projects
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for a senior mechatronics engineer to join our recovery systems team. In this position you will take ownership of the design of flight critical control systems, as well as develop the test equipment and analysis tools used in understanding performance in full system in-flight tests.
Within 3 months you will:
- Take ownership of the design of the control box for a safety critical system
- Develop diagnostic equipment for field testing
Within 6 months you will:
- Design a ground test sequence and subject your control box to ground testing
- Execute full system flight tests
- Develop test analysis software to understand system margins through high volume testing
You must have a majority of, but not all, of the following experience and skills:
- A electrical engineering, robotics, physics, aerospace, or similar degree
- A background in the design of electromechanical systems
- Experience with board design on a reliability-driven product that has shipped to customers
- Experience with low level embedded programming in critical applications
Ideally you would also have the following:
- A pilot's license or experience in related areas of flight such as RC model aircraft, paragliding, hang gliding, skydiving, etc
- Experience with safety critical systems
- Previous work with high performance fabric structures
We are located in Mountain View and Palo Alto, near Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.