Supervisor, Composite Lay-up
Mountain View, CA
Cora – Manufacturing Engineering
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
Cora began as a dream. A self-piloting air taxi so personal and so simple it could take the trips we make everyday, the ones that define our lives, and bring them to the sky. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Today, that dream is one step closer. Join us in making that dream a reality.
We are looking for a Supervisor for the composite pre-preg lay-up team to join our Cora production operation. You will apply principles from high-volume manufacturing to ramp up production and ensuring that quality, production schedules, and engineering requirements are met within released specifications.
Within 3 months you will:
- Learn the applicable internal specifications for the lay-up and part curing processes
- Implement a team production schedule that supports internal customers
- Assign daily tasks to lay-up technicians, ply cutting technician(s), and oven operator(s)
- Manage day to day team operations
Within 6 months you will:
- Work closely with manufacturing engineers to develop and improve work instructions
- Work with structural design engineers to improve composite part engineering drawings and ply books
- Lead process improvements
- Collaborate with tooling design engineers to ensure part tools are manufacturable, ergonomically appropriate, designed with an ease of manufacturing mindset
Within 12 months you will:
- Ensure team members are appropriately trained
- Maintain shop metrics
- Assist Supply Chain with sourcing new vendors, ensuring quality standard will be met
- Deploy processes to improve production rate.
- Collect data to conduct root cause investigations of common/recurring problems and non-conformities.
- Manages, develops and motivates employees performing manufacturing pre-preg carbon composite airframe structure parts
- Conduct HR/Admin tasks: approve time cards/Personal Time Off, annual employee reviews, approve Purchase Orders
- Acquires resources to execute production plan (e.g. staffing)
- Ensures Team Members are appropriately trained
- Leads process improvements
- Develops and Maintains relationships and partnerships with suppliers, customers, peers and direct reports
- Maintains shop metrics
- Ensure all processes are being performed within the guidelines of released specifications
- 3+ years managing small teams in a manufacturing environment, preference for pre-preg carbon composite part manufacturing
- Experience laying up pre-preg composite materials.
- Able to support production schedule, generally 6:00a-3:00p
- Open to international and domestic travel to suppliers (less than 20%)
- Experience in lean manufacturing principles
- General knowledge of industry standards in a certified aerospace manufacturing environment
- Experience utilizing and following detailed work instructions, reading and interpreting drawings, and engineering specifications
- Experience with ply cutting table and laser projection guided lay-up operations
- Experience with managing electronic work instructions from manufacturing execution software
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.