Mountain View, CA
Flyer – Hardware
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for an Engineering Technician to join the Flyer Hardware development team! We design, build, test, and fly in rapid iteration, so you’ll be energetic, adaptable and a fast learner who can make sound judgements with limited information. You will support the engineering team with first article builds, wiring diagrams, fabrication and assembly, electrical rework, repair, bring-up, and debugging of new prototype electrical hardware. Your time will be split between prototype builds, debugging, ground testing, and manufacturing support.
Within 3 months you will:
- Get to know the team
- Learn company processes and procedures
- Support engineering and manufacturing with the current product as well as next-generation prototyping
- Familiarize yourself with the shop and helping to organize and keep the shop clean; specifically the wood/machine shop and 3D printing areas
- Work with the team to help develop test platforms; software-in-loop (SIL), hardware-in-loop (HIL), Ironbird, reliability jigs, etc.
- Witness eVTOL flight and perhaps even fly yourself!
Within 6 months you will:
- Improve our processes and procedures as necessary
- Support the engineering team with upgrades to our test platforms
- Take ownership of the wood/machine shop and 3D printing studio; specifying, buying, setting up, and maintaining equipment
- See your contributions fly!
Within 12 months you will:
- Teach others how to safely use wood/machine shop and 3D printing studio
- Support transitioning new hardware products from prototype to production
- Five or more years experience as a technician assembling electromechanical mechanisms and/or power electronic assemblies
- Strong rework experience in micro-soldering and desoldering small SMT component packages such as QFP, QFN, small SMT Resistors and Capacitors such as 0603, 0402, 0201, etc.
- Wire Harness experience: lacing, crimping, soldering, heat shrinking, and protective sleeving
- Must be able to work from procedures and drawings with minimal guidance
- Proficiency using basic mechanical tools; drills / press, saws, Dremel, epoxies, etc.
- Able to recommend wire size/type
- Able to recommend connectors and the tools associated
- Proficiency using basic electronics tools: oscilloscope, DMM, power supplies, basic shop equipment, etc)
- Strong background in troubleshooting and repair of wiring and systems
- Able to select and manage parts from a BOM, assemble boards and test
- Ability to read and review wiring harness diagrams, board schematics, and assembly drawings
- Good communication, problem solving and organizational skills
- Working knowledge of basic computer applications
- Experience with eVTOL or EV components; batteries, motors, wireless communications, and sensors
- Electronics Associate degree or above
- Familiar with Atlassian Jira and Confluence as well as G Suite
- Extreme attention to detail and continuous pursuit of improvement
- Fabrication tool experience; 3D printing, laser cutting, and CNC router
- Excellent listening and communication skills
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills
- Strong team player
- IPC/WHMA-A-620 certification
- J-STD-001 certification
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, charitable giving match, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.