Director, Flight Structures
Palo Alto, CA
Heaviside – Engineering
Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for a Director of Flight Structures to join the Heaviside program. In this role, you will lead the set of teams responsible for the primarily mechanical and structural elements of our aircraft.
- Manage the set of teams and individuals responsible for aerodynamics, primary structure, mechanisms and vehicle layout, and configuration
- Improve and own design, test, and manufacturing processes
- Lead the team in sensible research, testing, and decision-making on various challenges as they arise
- Work with regulators in the development of and compliance to appropriate standards for the space
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability
- 5-10 years of experience in a role intimately involved with the design, engineering, and testing of relevant systems (eg aircraft, spacecraft, F1, etc)
- 5-10 years of experience in the management of teams and people in a relevant program
- Experience with safety critical systems
- Experience with certification or qualification through a third party
- Ability to work independently in a fast paced environment, prioritize appropriately and handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously in multiple disciplines
- A first principles approach to problem solving; comfortable creating new solutions to problems as well as knowledgeable about tried methods and their benefits
- Experience in and enthusiasm for flying, gliding, hang gliding, high powered rocketry, or other fields that give good intuition for system level challenges
We are located in Palo Alto and Hollister, with great access to nice outdoor spaces as well as to airports at both locations. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.