Senior Power Electronics Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Special Projects – Special Projects
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
As a member of Kitty Hawk’s Special Projects small team, you will work on a variety of aircraft systems from high voltage motor control and energy storage to redundant low voltage distribution. We design/build/test/fly in rapid iteration, so you’ll be a energetic, adaptable engineer who can make sound judgements with limited information. You will work on all levels of the design, from high-level system architecture to PCB layout. Your time will be split between design, bench, and flight test as we accelerate the future of aviation.
Within 3 months you will:
- Become familiar with our aircraft’s power system and redundancy approach.
- Help integrate, debug, and test electronics on our aircraft.
- Get to know our shared embedded codebase and related tools.
Within 6 months you will:
- Take ownership of a large subsystem. Leading support for current hardware while planning and executing revisions for added functionality or optimized operation.
- Help guide architectural discussions for our current and future aircraft.
- Mentor junior engineers on best practices and robust design.
You should be able to work independently and determine the most fruitful direction to move in, while being an efficient communicator, avid documenter, and integrated team member.
You should be able to describe your contributions to previous personal, academic, open source and/or professional projects that you are most proud of.
You must have a majority of, but not all, of the following experience and skills:
- Architecture design for redundancy and fault tolerance
- High voltage power electronics (>400V)
- Digital and analog circuit design, PCB layout, board bring-up
- Design for reliability in high vibration and high temperature environments
- Design for manufacture both for PCBAs and top level assemblies
- Noise emission reduction and susceptibility prevention
- Thermal managements
Ideally you would also have the following:
- Battery packs and battery management systems
- Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machine (PMSM) motor control
- Real-time control theory and implementation
- Embedded C programming
- Scripting and automation in Python
We are located in Mountain View and Palo Alto, near Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.