Natural Language Processing (NLP) Researcher
Technical – Computer Vision /
Full Time /
Kitware is a leader in the creation of cutting-edge algorithms and software for automated image, video, text, and multimodal analysis. Our solutions embrace artificial intelligence adding measurable value to government agencies, commercial organizations, and academic institutions worldwide. We understand the difficulties in extracting, interpreting, and utilizing information across images, video, metadata, and text, and we recognize the need for robust, affordable solutions. We seek to advance artificial intelligence, computer vision, and other related fields through research and development and through collaborative projects that build on our open source software platforms, such as VIAME and Telesculptor.
About the Projects:
Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Computer Vision research is increasingly interrelated, with common computational approaches and the increasing availability of text + image/video benchmarks. Several current projects leverage recent advances in large language models (LLMs), with applications to diverse domains and use cases like information extraction, decision-making, reasoning, and disinformation mitigation. Related projects entail emphasis on knowledge extraction and representation, multimodal media asset exploitation, understanding written instructions, and more.
Kitware’s employees have unique opportunities to interact and collaborate directly with customers, visit interesting customer sites, and participate in live field tests and demonstrations. Much of Kitware’s work involves applying state-of-the-art artificial intelligence approaches to dynamic, real-world problems. In this case, you will have the opportunity to contribute your skills to projects focused on national security, making a difference on a daily basis to protect our country. Research and Development Engineers at Kitware also enjoy benefits commonly associated with a position in academia, such as support and encouragement for the publication of novel work. There are also frequent opportunities to collaborate with world renowned academic partners on ongoing research projects.
We partner with premier government R&D agencies such as DARPA, IARPA, AFRL, NVESD, NOAA, ONR, other branches of the US military, and multiple members of the Intelligence Community on a range of efforts including prime contracts, SBIRs, and STTRs. In addition, we provide commercial services to companies ranging from startups to Fortune 500 companies. Kitware employs an open source business model to foster extended, collaborative communities, and to provide flexible, high-quality technical solutions. If you’ve used CMake, ITK, or VTK, you know our work and the impact it has on the communities we help build.
In This Position You Will:
- Develop robust solutions in the areas of Natural Language Processing, Large Language Models, Foundation Models, ML, and AI.
- Develop and evaluate algorithms to understand the textual content of textual and multi-modal data, and/or perform reasoning on extracted data.
- Enjoy support and encouragement for participation in national and international NLP, machine learning, AI, and/or computer vision conferences.
- Be encouraged to seek funding to grow and develop your own research areas, if you desire.
- PhD in Computer Science or related field.
- Strong publication history in NLP (ACL, EMNLP, NAACL) conferences, or other AI venues incorporating NLP (AAAI, ICML, ICLR, NeurIPS).
- Experience with natural language text generation, foundation models, large language models (LLMs), using one or more of GPT, Claude, BERT, or similar.
- Highly innovative and demonstrated track record for solving difficult technical challenges.
- Experience collaborating successfully with others and thriving in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
- Candidates should include a detailed list of publications as part of their resume/CV.
- Experience with multiple large multimodal AI models including image, text, and speech modalities.
- Past work on adapting NLP and LLMs to different domains and applications, including decision-making, reasoning, and inference.
$155,000 - $215,000 a year
Kitware is a research and development software solutions provider with a mission to advance science, make a positive impact, and share our results all within a collaborative, employee-focused work environment that is friendly, fair, and flexible. Our work is improving healthcare outcomes, increasing national security, and advancing our national computing infrastructure. Our customers and collaborators include top universities from around the world, government organizations, national research labs, medical device manufacturers, car manufacturers, financial institutions, and many others.
Kitware is proud to be 100% employee-owned, and Great Place to Work-Certified™.
Our team members enjoy a small company environment, flexibility in work assignments, and high levels of independence and responsibility. Besides a great work environment, our comprehensive benefits package includes a competitive compensation plan, tuition reimbursement program, flexible working hours, six weeks paid time off, 401(k), health insurance, life insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, bonus plan, and free coffee, drinks, and snacks.
For more information on our benefit offerings please visit: https://www.kitware.com/careers/.
Kitware actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, protected veteran status, uniformed service member status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Any unsolicited resume sent to Kitware, including to Kitware's mailing addresses, fax machines or email addresses, whether directly to Kitware employees or to Kitware's applicant tracking system, will be considered Kitware property. Kitware will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume, and will consider any candidate submitted by a recruitment agency without a fully executed contract with Kitware to have been referred free of any charges or fees.
If you need assistance with applying or interviewing for a role due to a disability or special need, please reach out directly to our HR team at firstname.lastname@example.org at any time during the hiring process.