Staff Scientist/Biomedical Engineer
Research & Development
At Klaris Diagnostics, we’re tackling antibiotic resistance, named by the CDC as one of the biggest public health challenges of our time. We use AI and single-cell analysis to quickly recognize the bacteria causing an infection and to predict which drugs will cure the infection, even if it is multi-drug-resistant.
But we’re not just invested in combating antibiotic resistance; we’re also invested in our people. Our team is brought together by a shared passion for our mission to cure and prevent antibiotic-resistant infections, improving one of the world's most important health decisions. We're committed to continuous learning, collaboration, and supporting one another. At Klaris, each voice matters, and we welcome diverse perspectives and healthy debate.
Klaris is looking for a Staff Scientist/Biomedical Engineer to join our team working at the intersection of artificial intelligence, microfluidics and clinical microbiology to help hospitals combat antibiotic resistance. In this role, you will play an integral part in advancing our novel technology and developing a best in class diagnostic device.
You will work closely with other scientists and engineers to develop next generation anti-microbial susceptibility, in vitro diagnostic products and technologies.
Your main goal is to develop a method for quantitatively isolating bacteria from clinical specimens that integrates with our detection technology.
How You Will Contribute
- Optimize and troubleshoot microfluidic devices and associated data.
- Manage, capture, and review critical data: accurately and consistently recording experimental methods, materials, and results.
- Conceive and conduct independent experimentation from project inception through product launch.
- Analyze data, form conclusions, and determine future experimental plans.
- Recommend expansion or curtailment of activities based on the latest information.
- Perform work in a BSL-2 laboratory including processing clinical specimens, bacterial culture propagation and maintenance, and susceptibility testing.
- Assume responsibility for timely completion of projects, consistent with the project critical path.
- Effectively adjust to changing priorities.
Success Will Look Like
- You drive timely and effective solutions to achieve technical milestones
- You contribute to thought leadership expressed by effective planning, risk mitigation, and IP generation
- You develop a method for quantitatively isolating bacteria from clinical specimens that integrates with our detection technology
- You project lead one development effort and contribute to projects owned by others
We'd Love to Hear From You If
- You're ready to embrace our mission.
- You flourish in a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment.
- You possess the ability to break down a problem into its fundamental components to devise rational solutions.
- You have a strong track record in experimental science or applied engineering, especially biological separations, including processing bacteria from clinical samples.
- You have experience developing medical devices, especially in vitro diagnostic devices.
- You combine a thorough understanding of fundamental scientific principles with analytical rigor to innovate at the intersection of physics, chemistry, biology, and materials science.
- You are insightful, self-motivated, and capable of working independently.
- You enjoy generating key results in the laboratory as well as guiding others.
- You're an excellent communicator and enjoy working in a collaborative setting.
Education and Experience Requirements
- BS required, PhD preferred in Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biomedical Engineering, Materials Science, or a related discipline.
- 4+ years of hands-on laboratory research experience.
We're excited for what you can bring to our team. Here are a few things we provide to make sure you have a great experience. Learn more about our team by visiting our website.
* Health insurance
* Unlimited PTO
* Transparent leadership
* Career development
* The opportunity to make a global impact and pioneer consequential solutions
* A library of educational materials
We value diversity on our teams. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.