Software Engineer - Java
Berlin, Germany /
Klarna makes shopping smoooth. And we do it with flair because shopping is fun. Every day, we help customers, businesses, and partners explore just how smoooth the modern shopping experience can be.
It means we’re constantly changing the game. Always trying out new things. And we encourage our people to do the same. To grow. To develop. Because we don’t believe roles have to stay fixed. Instead we inspire our people to take an irregular career path. As a company of 350 dynamic start-ups, our whole business is built for it. So once you’re in, there’s no telling what will happen next.
Our engineers develop next-generation products that change how our consumers and merchants interact with each other. Our products handle our customers money and information at a massive scale, and extend well beyond online payments. We need talented and driven engineers to understand our customers, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward and disrupt the industry.
Klarna's mission is to make payments as smooth as possible, reducing the friction you face when you purchase goods online. Our secret sauce that helps us achieve this is our ability to provide credit in real-time. Klarna’s growth is now on a global scale and engineering is fundamental to building on our success. If you want to learn more about how this is done, this opportunity will provide you with a chance to aim for awesomeness and write history.
We are currently serving 80 million customers and growing more than 40% annually, so there are very big opportunities to have a massive impact in one of the few profitable unicorns out there.
What you will do
- Work on a specific problem space critical to Klarna’s current needs with potential opportunities to move teams as you and the business grow and evolve
- Bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, large-scale system design, data storage/processing, security, artificial intelligence, UI design and mobile development
- Develop yourself as a valued professional in an entrepreneurial organization that will offer you the opportunity to work within your areas of interest
- Use state of the art technology to solve real problems for our customers at a massive scale
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve. You will own the full life-cycle of your code - you write it, so you own it!
- Share your knowledge and help the team evolve best practice
- Work in small autonomous teams with short release cycles
Who you are
- Klarna is looking for ambitious engineers with significant drive! You should be passionate about your job and enjoy a fast paced international working environment. You will play an important role in taking Klarna to the next level thus, you should desire to go above and beyond to produce best results. At Klarna we embrace change, so you should dare to challenge the status quo and be persistent!
You should have
- Significant experience writing Java production code on high availability systems
- Experience working with microservices architecture
- Experience with Docker containers
- Working proficiency and communication skills in verbal and written English
Some of the technologies you would be working with include; latest Java version, Spring Boot, PostgreSQL, Docker, Kafka, ELK and AWS
We value open source, here’s some of our work - https://github.com/klarna
You might also have
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Computer Science or a related discipline
- Interest and ability to learn other coding languages as required
What you can expect from us
- A competitive compensation package, based on your skill level
- 6 weeks of paid holidays
- Generous pension and insurance plans
- A practically unlimited potential to develop and grow, both personally and professionally
- Support for your own personal development
Klarna is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
If this sounds good, please send us your CV and cover letter in English. We look forward to hearing from you soon!
Klarna was founded in Stockholm, Sweden in 2005. Since then, we’ve changed the banking industry forever. And now we’re creating the world’s smooothest shopping experience. We serve 80 million consumers worldwide, and partner with 190,000 merchants – with a new merchant joining us every 8 minutes. Including some of the world’s leading brands, such as H&M, ASOS, IKEA, Adidas, Samsung and Lufthansa. Our offices are spread over 17 different markets, hosted by +2,500 people from 90 nationalities.