Senior Backend Engineer - Java
Madrid, Spain /
On our path to becoming the world’s favorite way to shop, we’re assembling an unparalleled global talent network, accelerating individual careers, and disrupting entire industries. We are on a mission to liberate humanity from all the meaningless time spent managing their purchases and finances, so they can do more of what they love. We’re in search of global talent eager to embrace our atmosphere and defy their own expectations.
Engineering at Klarna is an inspired, customer focused community, dedicated to crafting solutions that redefine our industry. Working in small, highly collaborative Agile teams, you and your team will have a clear mission and ownership of an important outcome that supports Klarna and our customers. At Klarna we optimise for quality, flow, fast feedback, focusing on end-to-end ownership, continuous improvement, testing, monitoring and experimentation. We aim for teams that are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership for the things they build. Our engineers make some of the most significant decisions for the company and we are looking for bold, open and curious developers.
Ready to help us push the boundaries of building products with quality and speed while establishing our newest product engineering hub in Madrid? We're expanding two of our most important end-consumer focused domains (think tribes/business units/verticals) in Madrid and we are looking for like-minded future Klarnauts to continue to elevate our game!
What you'll get to do
- Work on a specific problem space critical to Klarna’s current needs with growth opportunities in a fast-paced business
- Bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, large-scale system design, data storage/processing, security, artificial intelligence, UI design and mobile development
- Develop as a professional in an entrepreneurial organisation that provides opportunity to work with your areas of interest.
- Use state of the art technology to solve real problems for our customers at a massive scale
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve, you are responsible for the full life-cycle of your code - you write it, you own it.
- Share your knowledge and help the team evolve best practices; be a mentor and mentee
- Work in small autonomous teams with short release cycles
- Give back by contributing to open source: https://github.com/klarna
You'll get the chance to work with
- Java (latest versions)
- Spring and Spring Boot and potentially other modules
- Docker and Kubernetes
- PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, Elasticsearch/ELK stack
- Microservice architecture at scale on AWS
To succeed in this role, we think you should have
- Software development experience in Java
- Strong problem solving ability
- Growth mindset and bias for action
- Working proficiency and communication skills in verbal and written English
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Computer Science or a related discipline or professional working experience building software
What we can offer you
- Culture - You'll have an opportunity to work in an international company with people from a variety of different countries in a central location in Madrid.
- Learning - We have a learning and development focused environment with an emphasis on knowledge sharing, training, and regular internal technical talks.
- Compensation - You’ll get an attractive salary and compensation package. We recognise that life is more than work, and promote work life balance.
We also believe in making contributions back to the open source community. You can find some of our work at https://github.com/klarna
How to apply: please send us your CV or LinkedIn profile in English.
What we offer:
Diversity & Community
With our diversity of skills, perspectives and backgrounds, we can create, innovate, and disrupt like no other. Diversity is part of who we are, and essential to our success.
Ownership & Impact
Here, every voice matters. We’re organized into hundreds of small teams, each run like a start-up, focused on their own problem-space.
Trust & Collaboration
Successes and failures are won together at Klarna in a melting pot of teams. Win, lose, and learn, we’re on this path together.
If you love what you do, you should love where you do it. We appreciate that everyone’s different and has their own preferences of where and how to work. We genuinely believe in the power of regular face-to-face interactions in building close connections with our teams, but we also strongly believe people can work effectively remotely. This means that combining both is the key to success.
At Klarna, You can choose between working from the office, remotely within your employment country, or even outside of it for up to 20 working days per year. Flex it up!
Challenges & Rewards
We take a very Swedish approach to benefits. Support for parents, health and wellness perks—we’ve got you covered.
Since 2005 Klarna has been on a mission to revolutionize the retail banking industry. With over 150 million global active users and 2 million transactions per day, Klarna is meeting the changing demands of consumers by saving them time and money while helping them be informed and in control. Over 450,000 global retail partners, including H&M, Saks, Sephora, Macys, IKEA, Expedia Group, and Nike have integrated Klarna's innovative technology to deliver a seamless shopping experience online and in-store. Klarna has over 6,000 employees and is active in 45 markets. For more information, visit Klarna.com
It is our commitment that every qualified person will be evaluated according to skills regardless of age, gender, identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability status or religion. Please refrain from including your picture and age with the application.