Software Engineer - Functional Programming
Stockholm, Sweden /
Klarna was founded in Stockholm, Sweden in 2005. Since then we've changed the banking industry forever. And now we're creating the world's smoothest shopping experience. We serve over 90 million consumers worldwide, and partner with 250,000 merchants – with a new merchant joining us every 8 minutes. Including some of the world's leading brands, such as H&M, ASOS, IKEA, Adidas, Samsung and Lufthansa. Our offices are spread over 17 different markets, hosted by 4000+ employees from 100+ nationalities.
Engineering at Klarna is an inspired, customer focused community, dedicated to crafting solutions that redefine our industry. Working in small, highly collaborative Agile teams, you and your team will have a clear mission and ownership of an important outcome that supports Klarna and our customers. At Klarna we optimise for quality, flow, fast feedback, focussing on end-to-end ownership, continuous improvement, testing, monitoring and experimentation. We aim for teams that are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership for the things they build.
Our engineers make some of the most significant decisions for the company and we are looking for bold, open and curious developers. As a Klarnaut, you’ll be inspired to contribute to the growth of Europe’s most highly valued fintech and your work will reach millions of users.
Want to be part of the change? We're expanding several of our engineering teams; teams working on our Core Banking and Servicing platforms, working with Erlang, Clojure, Haskell and Functional Typescript.
What you’ll get to do
- Own your services end to end. Decide how best to build, test, deploy and monitor.
- Work with large scale, highly available and resilient modern financial systems.
- Be an integral part of a team, in addition to its culture and ways of working. Common practices include agile methodologies, pair and mob programming.
- Work with automated deployment enabling code release multiple times a day.
- Succeed, fail, and learn together with other talented people. We believe in an environment that provides an opportunity for growth and see education as an outcome of failure that gets us closer to the next breakthrough.
- Work with modern tools and languages that excite you.
You'll get the chance to work with
- Functional programming languages including Erlang, Clojure, Haskell, Functional Typescript and JVM tooling.*
- Mnesia, and a range of OTP tools.
- Kafka, Serverless, PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, LevelDB.
- Prometheus, Splunk, Ansible, Terraform, Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes.
We are also utilising:
* Previous functional programming experience isn’t essential, but you should be open to learning and working with any of these languages as the choices available may change over time.
What we can offer you
- Culture - You'll have an opportunity to work with people from 90+ different countries in our English speaking offices in Stockholm city centre.
- Learning - We have a learning and development focused environment with an emphasis on knowledge sharing, training, and regular internal technical talks.
- Compensation - You’ll receive an attractive salary, pension, and insurance plans, plus we offer all of our employees an opportunity to invest in a RSU program and own a stake of the company. You’ll also receive 30 days annual leave and since we recognise that life is about more than work, we also offer benefits for gym memberships, marathons, and all sorts of activities that promote physical health. We also have generous parental leave (for men and women).
- Relocation - We can offer relocation support to Stockholm.
We know diverse teams are strong teams, so we welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences. Our teams include women, men, mothers, fathers, the self-taught, the college-educated, and people from all over the world.
We also believe in making contributions back to the open source community. You can find some of our work at klarna.github.io.
How to apply: please send us your CV or Linkedin profile in English.
Klarna is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and candidates. Please refrain from including your picture and age with your application.