1:st Line Operational Risk Control Manager
Stockholm, Sweden /
Klarna was founded in Stockholm, Sweden in 2005. Since then we've changed the banking industry forever. And now we're creating the world's smoothest shopping experience. We serve over 90 million consumers worldwide, and partner with 250,000 merchants – with a new merchant joining us every 8 minutes. Including some of the world's leading brands, such as H&M, ASOS, IKEA, Adidas, Samsung and Lufthansa. Our offices are spread over 17 different markets, hosted by 4000+ employees from 100+ nationalities.
Klarna strives to become the world’s favourite way to buy, and you can contribute to reaching this goal! We are looking to hire great people, who are passionate about using their talents to generate success. Analytics is no exception! We are currently looking to grow our Analytics teams to satisfy the company’s ever-increasing need for complex problem solving and data driven decision making.
Who you are
We are looking for ambitious people with significant drive! We need problem solvers, initiative takers, people that see opportunities and potential to improve. You should be passionate about your job and enjoy a fast-paced international working environment. You will play an important role in taking Klarna to the next level - thus, you should desire to go above and beyond to deliver and grow as an individual. At Klarna we embrace change, you should dare to challenge the status quo and be persistent in doing so.
What you will do
As a Risk Control Manager, you will in practice be the Head of Operational Risk of the Domain similar to as it would be in a small company where your main goal is to enable the domain to identify and manage any obstacle that could hinder Klarna to meet our strategic objectives and ensure that the domain acts within the set risk appetite set by the board and CEO.
Your accountability line will be in the first line of defense and report either directly to the Domain Lead or to one of the Domain Leads key persons within the support group. Your competence line will belong to the Analytic competence where you will have a senior Operational Risk person as your Competence Lead ensuring your long-term development at Klarna.
Since Klarna is a data-driven company, decisions are based on facts and not opinions, which suits this role very well. The analytics competencies are integrated into the organisation and a key function in many different areas - some examples of the others are; finance, fraud, HR, product development, and sales. Even if Analytics is applied in many different areas there are some things that all analysts have in common: a strong drive combined with analytical skills and a great team spirit! As your career develops you will develop expertise in certain areas.
You will work in close collaboration with the product development teams where you will actively evangelize the risk-based decision-making approach within the domain and ensure compliance to the internal risk management processes. Besides supporting the teams to follow processes and procedures that have been developed on a Klarna level, you will work hands-on with the product development teams with assignments that require a certain level of seniority due to the complex nature of banking products. Concretely, you would do:
Day to day will see you
- Be the local expert and support the domain in risk and compliance matters
- Lead and drive risk management improvement programs within the domain
- Assist in leading and performing risk identification and risk assessments for major changes within the New Product Approval (NPA) process and the yearly risk assessments of the domains business-critical products/services.
- Defining, implementing, and testing domain-local risk management routines
- Support the product owners in identifying new or improving existing controls and key risk indicators to reduce and monitor the risks within the domain
- Support with 3:rd party vendor or outsourcing risk management
- Manage risk management metrics follow-up and improvement work
- Drafting / assisting in the creation of new Business Continuity Plans (BCPs)
- Lead business continuity tests and improvement work.
- Review incidents and support in retrospectives and root cause analysis
- Coordinate with control functions and auditors
- Manage audits and follow up completion of mitigations
- Create structure in disordered information/data
- Manipulate and explore data Analyse problems to understand their root cause
- Design and implement strategies in a rapidly evolving industry
- Generate insights and recommendations
- Communicate insights and recommendations
- Design and improve processes
- Ability to find data and information in collaboration with other people and teams
- Identify improvement areas in several functional areas
- Apply both a helicopter perspective as well as have the ability to go into details
You should have
- A degree from a university in a numerate subject (e.g. Economics, Science, Engineering, or Business)
- Applicable work experience with operational risk in a risk management function or consulting/audit environment of +3 years
- The skillset to explain operational risk in both oral and in writing to an inexperienced audience
- Experience of working in a regulated environment
- The skillset to interpret regulations and put them into practice
- Experience in establishing and improving controls and key risk indicators to reduce and monitor risk exposures
- Working proficiency and communication skills in verbal and written English
- Strong attention to detail and experience in using structured approaches to problem-solving without losing the big picture perspective
- Significant drive and ambition
- Strong conceptual ability
You might also have
- A good understanding of modern cloud-based development
- Experience from agile development methods
- Preferably an understanding of how to perform data extraction and manipulation, as well as programming languages is a plus (SQL, R, Python, MatLab, Java, C# etc…)
Please send us a CV in this application and we will come back to you as soon as possible if we find your profile relevant for the role.
Klarna is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and candidates. Please refrain from including your picture and age with your application.