Engineering Manager - Java
Klarna makes shopping smoooth. And we do it with flair because shopping is fun. Every day, we help customers, businesses, and partners explore just how smoooth the modern shopping experience can be.
It means we’re constantly changing the game. Always trying out new things. And we encourage our people to do the same. To grow. To develop. Because we don’t believe roles have to stay fixed. Instead we inspire our people to take an irregular career path. As a company of 350 dynamic start-ups, our whole business is built for it. So once you’re in, there’s no telling what will happen next.
Engineering at Klarna is growing rapidly and we're searching for driven and energetic Engineering Managers with core strengths in the Java ecosystem who will join our growing engineering hub in Berlin. With daily deployments and microservices architecture, we really do have an engineering culture that allows talented engineers to thrive.
Klarna's mission is to make payments as smooth as possible, reducing the friction you are facing when you purchase goods online. The secret sauce that helps us achieve this is our ability to provide credit in real-time. Klarna’s growth is now on a global scale and engineering is fundamental to building on our success. If you want to learn more about how this is done, this opportunity will provide you with a chance to aim for awesomeness and write history.
We are currently serving 80 million customers and we are growing more than 40% annually, so there are big opportunities to have a massive impact in one of the very few profitable unicorns out there.
We're looking for someone who can
- Inspire, lead, shape and grow a software engineering team consisting of 4-8 members
- Manage and drive procurement for third party products that your team can depend on
- Drive continuous improvement, focusing on quality in your own team and beyond
- Scope and own a problem space; articulate and develop fact based argumentation and own it
- Take calculated risks, anchor with different stakeholders and articulate short and long term consequences
- Continuously develop relationships between your stakeholders
- Influence and drive software design discussions, and translate business needs in to reality
- Play a key role in helping us continue to attract, develop and retain amazing engineering talent
You’ll need to have
- Experience leading cross functional software engineering teams in a fast paced, delivery focused and cloud-based environment
- Strong coding ability with core skills in Java programming
- Strong track record of delivery of influential software, preferably in complex business models and a high transaction environment
- Strong people management skills
- Collaboration and coordination skills
- Proven ability to manage stakeholders effectively
- You will play an important role in taking Klarna to the next level thus, you should desire to go above and beyond to produce best work results!
- At Klarna we embrace change, you should dare to challenge the status quo and be persistent
Some of the technologies you would be working with; latest Java version, Spring Boot, PostgreSQL, Docker, Kafka, ELK and AWS.
We value open source, here’s some of our work - https://github.com/klarna
What you can expect from us
- A competitive compensation package, based on your skill level
- 6 weeks of paid holidays
- Generous pension and insurance plans
- Practically unlimited potential to develop and grow, both personally and professionally
- Support for your own personal development
- Amazing relocation support to Berlin, Germany
Klarna is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
If this sounds good, please send us your CV and cover letter in English. We look forward to hearing from you soon!
Klarna was founded in Stockholm, Sweden in 2005. Since then, we’ve changed the banking industry forever. And now we’re creating the world’s smooothest shopping experience. We serve 80 million consumers worldwide, and partner with 190,000 merchants – with a new merchant joining us every 8 minutes. Including some of the world’s leading brands, such as H&M, ASOS, IKEA, Adidas, Samsung and Lufthansa. Our offices are spread over 17 different markets, hosted by +2,500 people from 90 nationalities.