Business Development Manager (various levels)
New York City, United States /
Business Development /
Klarna was founded in Stockholm, Sweden in 2005. Since then we've changed the banking industry forever. And now we're creating the world's smoothest shopping experience. We serve over 90 million consumers worldwide, and partner with 250,000 merchants – with a new merchant joining us every 8 minutes. Including some of the world's leading brands, such as H&M, ASOS, IKEA, Adidas, Samsung and Lufthansa. Our offices are spread over 17 different markets, hosted by 4000+ employees from 100+ nationalities.
The Business Development Manager who is part of the Merchant Success, is seen as the best possible partner for our merchants. This is an experienced consultant in e-commerce and shopping - being able to guide the merchant how to best build their business. Their main focus area for our Business Developer is improving the merchants business, conquering new opportunities, growing existing accounts, protecting the price, retaining merchants and empowering them to become even more successful.
The Business Developer together with the Solution Engineer assigned to the team are expected to have a deep and detailed understanding of Klarna’s products and assets enabling the possibility to create a solution tailored to merchant challenges and opportunities. The Business Developer should be service minded and collaborate with internal stakeholders as well as relevant external partners to ensure that there are no constraints and to ensure that proposal is optimized from a solutions, value and profitability perspective.
As Business Developers, we need to understand the financial impact for both the Merchant and Klarna based on the identified solution. The Business Developer should use his own and/or other technical expertise to guide and support the merchant to translate how the technical set-up can generate a competitive advantage. Building a compelling business case in collaboration with the merchant that clearly demonstrates the expected incremental financial value, addresses company goals and enhanced customer experience is a huge part of what the Business Developer should do.
Other key skills/knowledge bases required for being a good Business developer are listed below:
Roles and Responsibilities
- Establish and maintain strong relationships, navigating and understanding the dynamics of your partner in order to get most things done.
- Act as a consultant in shopping and e-commerce, ideally with a deep understanding of the specific segment that the merchant is operating in. There should be a pull effect from the merchant to want to meet our business developers based on the value they add from their knowledge.
- Able to articulate Klarna's holistic value proposition as not only a payment method that increases conversion, but as a shopping and marketing network that can reduce the retailer's customer acquisition cost.
- The ability to listen and understand the merchant needs. Lead towards our solution not with our solution.
- Able to increase Lifetime Value of the merchant while increasing mutual business and improving Klarna’s profits.
- Understanding of the total solution and the components that decides the value of a deal as well as negotiations so that Klarna business value is protected.
- Actively seek and find win-win solutions for both the Merchant and Klarna while monitoring the competitors of Klarna and their capabilities and positions offerings in the best way.
- Understand how Klarna makes money including revenue streams and cost drivers.
- Understand how Klarna's products measure up to competitors' products.
- Apply business acumen when negotiating for value vs cost leveraging the agreed Business Case values developed in collaboration with the merchant.
- Leverage benchmarks, insights and testimonials from Klarna merchants/partners to demonstrate the values generated with a Klarna partnership justifying a premium price.
- Understand the Merchant Agreement structure and ability to communicate key components with the merchant to support a short contracting phase.
- Make sure to collaborate efficiently with the other competences within the Merchant Success Team.
- Assume personal accountability for directing and driving the sales process from end to and close deals and execute contracts in a timely, efficient, and effective manner.
- Own the responsibility to promote a higher Klarna Score and, in cooperation with the Solutions & Delivery representative in the team, make sure that the score is being optimized. Pro-actively advise the merchant throughout the process based on relevant experience. Be proactive, not reactive.
- Be able to provide top of breed examples and set the standards.
- Be able to define how to good looks in the market, creating and celebrating great examples and success stories, sharing meaningful insights and market statistics.
- Create best practices based around the different markets, ex. “How to sell in “the market XX” 101” and “The 10 do’s and don'ts”.
Nice to Have:
- 3+ years in Business Development
- Retail and/or payments and/or e-commerce experience
Klarna is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and candidates. Please refrain from including your picture and age with your application.