Director of Corporate Communications
New York, United States /
Klarna makes shopping smoooth. And we do it with flair because shopping is fun. Every day, we help customers, businesses, and partners explore just how smoooth the modern shopping experience can be.
It means we’re constantly changing the game. Always trying out new things. And we encourage our people to do the same. To grow. To develop. Because we don’t believe roles have to stay fixed. Instead we inspire our people to take an irregular career path. As a company of 350 dynamic start-ups, our whole business is built for it. So once you’re in, there’s no telling what will happen next.
We are looking for someone who can develop and lead Klarna corporate communications in the US. The global Klarna communications team is a driven, passionate and fun group of people focused on making Klarna a global brand that is known, respected and loved by consumers, merchants and all relevant stakeholders.
You will play a key role in building Klarna’s position in the US market, through developing & implementing external corporate communications and engagement strategies. You will work closely with the global company management and heads of the business in the US market, while developing and managing our proactive and reactive US corporate communications activities. You will also strive to turn complex propositions into simple communication so that our end-users find it easy to understand our Klarna value proposition. This will involve partnering closely with the marketing, growth, legal and partnerships teams as well as drawing on an extensive network of own media and stakeholder relationships and driving agency management.
You will lead proactive and integrated corporate communications, serve as a spokesperson of the company’s vision and continue to help build out a strategic communications function across the US.
- Lead Klarna’s corporate communication efforts externally, bringing Klarna’s story to life in the US, helping to define the future of retail and fintech. Keep our communications in the region pointed at our target market, and sharp enough to cut through the noise.
- Lead all external corporate communications, executive communications, and corporate media relations including issues and crisis response.
- Drive the planning and implementation of corporate communication strategies and activities in the US market that convey the Klarna message in the best way, as well as coordinate with group messaging and initiatives where necessary. You will need to be able to move between multiple audiences and contexts.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with media, thought leaders and relevant stakeholders in the market. Identify opportunities pro-actively and execute when needed; pitch, content, storytelling and follow up.
- Build a plan to further develop US spokespeople. Support building their external platform and messaging through interviews, op-eds and speaking engagements.
- Work with business leaders to educate on Communications & PR strategy, objectives and priorities. Provide coaching and guidance to the leadership team to enhance their communication and presentation skills.
- Defining key messages on topics relevant to Klarna’s US business and developing our profile as a respected thought leader.
- Engage with the relevant industry groups and forums on key issues relating to the Klarna core business.
- Coordinate with various internal teams to support announcements, program updates, and more.
- Attract, coach and develop others, understanding team dynamics and strengthening the overall capability of the organization.
Who you are:
- Be passionate about your job and enjoy a fast-paced working environment. You are customer obsessed, proactive by nature, can move between high strategy and small details, relish problem-solving, want the ability to think creatively and love the satisfaction of brilliant execution.
- You are proactive and hands-on by nature and come up with new thinking that adds value and innovation to the work we do. It is crucial that you are an independent player who can be strategic and forward-looking while at the same time taking personal ownership for everyday delivery.
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience in a senior communications management role, both in-house and/or agency, preferably in high-growth and/or payments or technology environments.
- Proven experience and leadership in running comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and outreach programs to advance a company’s mission and commercial goals
- Proven skill and passion in proactively building relationships with media, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements.
- Creative thinker, with a track record for bringing strategic thinking and product propositions into action plans and output.
- Proven success working closely with senior level executives on messaging, speaking opportunities, media requests, internal communications, and more.
- Flexibility and adaptability to manage complex issues in a regulated environment.
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional teams but also working with wide variety of external partners preferable
- Proven ability to successfully build and manage teams driving collective success and supporting individuals’ career development
Klarna was founded in Stockholm, Sweden in 2005. Since then, we’ve changed the banking industry forever. And now we’re creating the world’s smooothest shopping experience. We serve 80 million consumers worldwide, and partner with 190,000 merchants – with a new merchant joining us every 8 minutes. Including some of the world’s leading brands, such as H&M, ASOS, IKEA, Adidas, Samsung and Lufthansa. Our offices are spread over 18 different markets, hosted by +3000 people from 90 nationalities.