Workforce Development Manager
Portland, Maine /
Maine Connectivity Authority – Executive/Senior Management /
WHO ARE WE?
The Maine Connectivity Authority is looking for a Workforce Development Manager to join their team. The Maine Connectivity Authority (MCA) is a new quasi-governmental organization created in 2021 through a bi-partisan effort to bridge Maine’s digital divide through proactive investments and partnerships for high-speed internet connectivity for everyone in Maine. MCA will serve as the primary agency to plan, develop, manage, and invest in broadband in Maine capitalized with an initial $250M of funding through Federal Recovery Funds. We need to connect everyone to the modern digital society and build the foundation for Maine’s future. High speed internet access is essential to participation in the modern economy and has the potential to dramatically improve Mainers’ quality of life.
As a key member of the new organization’s rapidly growing team, the Workforce Development Manager provides leadership on workforce development initiatives and partnerships. This role serves a critical function of supporting communities and industry partners in alignment with an important overall objective: to prepare the workforce with the skills to support the large scale build out of broadband infrastructure. The Workforce Development Manager leverages subject matter expertise in the areas of education and training, workforce development, digital equity and inclusion as well as strategic initiative and partnership building to carry out the mission of MCA and the State’s connectivity goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate, lead, and manage workforce programming for MCA on behalf of the State of Maine.
- Oversee the production of a market analysis to identify opportunities and critical needs.
- Inform and help develop budgeting in support of workforce development programs.
- Help manage grants and technical assistance to communities, regions, nonprofitpartners and others to build workforce capacity.
- Design and manage educational and outreach programs to build the broadband workforce pipeline
- Serve as the lead MCA point of contact with workforce partners at state agencies to align goals and initiatives and collaborate to achieve them.
- Convene industry partners and develop ongoing structure to effectively understand, promote, and advocate for strategic workforce solutions.
- Work with MCA Communications Director to identify and develop a workforce communications strategy including stories of the broadband workforce: who they are, what they do, and why it is important for Maine.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with external partners and networks in the workforce development field, including and not limited to the Maine State Workforce Development Board, educational institutions, and relevant state agencies.
- Craft and deliver public presentations to key stakeholders, working groups, task forces and networks.
- Commitment to MCA’s Purpose, Principles, and Culture.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant experience.
- Minimum 5+ years’ professional experience in one or more of these areas: workforce development, education and training, project management, community development, digital equity and inclusion, public private partnerships.
- General knowledge and familiarity of and relationships with the education and workforce development landscape and partners in Maine is a plus.
- Knowledge of non-profit, governmental, or quasi-governmental.
- Intermediate level of experience with productivity tools, such as Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, and basic website content management systems, as well as financial management software such as QuickBooks.
SKILLS / ABILITIES QUALIFICATIONS:
- Commitment and concern to provide broadband for everyone in Maine and to facilitate the digital infrastructure for Maine’s future.
- Desire to cultivate and craft new solutions that create new value for diverse organizations and stakeholders.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and duties simultaneously.
- Highly organized.
- Independently motivated
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong project management skills, including meeting facilitation, relationship building, and design and execution of an impactful plan to achieve objectives.
- Adaptable to new solutions or processes to ensure growth and success of the organizational priorities.
- Ability to work as a team player and collaborate both internally and externally.
- Ability to problem solve and create innovative solutions for the larger customer in mind.
Culture: The Maine Connectivity Authority is a start-up organization with the need to rapidly scale into a high performing, high impact organization serving as a trusted leader charged with executing a critical public need. With this as our mission, team members will be evaluated on their competencies as a part of the organization’s character encompassing:
Adaptation and evolution. Continual learning and adjustment are critical to ensure the growth and success of organizational priorities.
Ownership and Collaboration: Accountability for follow through and success balanced with a team orientation and willingness to partner internally and externally.
Grit and Gumption: The vision and strategy is bold and will require an important blend between resolve, resourcefulness, initiative and creativity to not just achieve but exceed expectations.
Humble and Hungry: The nature of our work is complex, requiring specific expertise, self-awareness and integrity balanced with a recognition that interdisciplinary solutions need to be created in new and different ways. Having the ability to create solutions for a more prosperous future for everyone should get you out of bed.
*Effective July 1st, MCA will be managing all existing operations for ConnectMaine (an entity housed within DECD), via a service agreement.
NO PHONE CALLS OR RECRUITERS, PLEASE
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, familial status, domestic violence status, or any other status protected by law.