Portland, Maine /
Maine Connectivity Authority – Executive/Senior Management /
The Maine Connectivity Authority is looking for a Communications Director. The Maine Connectivity Authority (MCA) is a new quasi-governmental organization created in 2021 through a bi-partisan effort to bridge Maine’s digital divide through proactive investments and partnerships for high-speed internet connectivity for everyone in Maine. MCA will serve as the primary agency to plan, develop, manage, and invest in broadband in Maine capitalized with an initial $250M of funding through Federal Recovery Funds. We need to connect everyone to the modern digital society and build the foundation for Maine’s future. High speed internet access is essential to participation in the modern economy and has the potential to dramatically improve Mainers’ quality of life.
As a key leadership member of the new organization’s rapidly growing team, the Communications Director reports to the President and provides leadership, guidance and support throughout the organization helping support broadband operations, strategic partnerships, finance, community technical assistance, digital equity and interagency coordination.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establish comprehensive and strategic brand integration across all organizational activities, programs, and investments
- Expand upon a digital media strategy to reflect and demonstrate agency impact
- Develop programmatic campaigns to raise awareness and support program objectives.
- Manage and grow outreach and engagement through social media platforms, email newsletter, and partnerships with media outlets
- Develop, coordinate, and manage media and public relations. This position may serve as a spokesperson when necessary as well as composing and distributing press releases and/or oversee contracted vendors to serve this function
- Maintain and grow positive relations with the media
- Design and develop brand integration through all aspects of the organization from presentation materials to application portals
- Lead the development of a robust contact relationship management system in coordination with the Operations team
- Oversee the maintenance of the MCA website including methods to deliver messages, ease of navigation, and clarity of information; ensures that all content is current and relevant
- Help manage and coordinate information sharing through e-newsletters
- Procure and manage any and all communications related vendors in coordination with the President
- Help set, maintain, and adhere to the communications budget
- Create consistent communications materials and collateral including presentation templates and content
- Commitment to MCA’s Purpose, Principles, and Culture
- Attendance and participation in frequent meetings (internal, external and blended)
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications Public Relations, or related field, or equivalent relevant experience
- Experience and/or knowledge of broadband and telecommunications is not necessary - though is preferred
- Multiple years’ experience in public relations, communications and digital media
- Demonstrated experience in setting and implementing comprehensive communications strategy
- Experience using communication strategies and tools in social media platforms
- Experience and comfortable in working with and responding to media inquiries
- Experience procuring and managing contractors and vendors
- Knowledge of non-profit, governmental or quasi-governmental agencies
- Proficient with productivity tools, such as Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, and basic website content management systems
- Working knowledge with office equipment and procedures
SKILLS / ABILITIES QUALIFICATIONS:
- Customer focus
- Detail oriented
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and duties simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Highly organized and able to create an organized and easy-to-follow system for others
- Independently motivated, with the ability to take on tasks and duties without immediate direction
- Adaptable to new solutions or processes to ensure growth and success of the organizational priorities
- Ability to work as a team player and collaborate both internally and externally, while also balancing individual accountability
- Strong results orientation – demonstrated ability to be resourceful, take initiative, and maintain resolve to achieve results
- Ability to problem solve and create innovative solutions for the larger customer in mind
Culture: The Maine Connectivity Authority is a start-up organization with the need to rapidly scale into a high performing, high impact organization serving as a trusted leader charged with executing a critical public need. With this as our mission, team members will be evaluated on their competencies as a part of the organization’s character encompassing:
Adaptation and evolution: Continual learning and adjustment are critical to ensure the growth and success of organizational priorities.
Ownership and Collaboration: Accountability for follow through and success balanced with a team orientation and willingness to partner internally and externally.
Grit and Gumption: The vision and strategy is bold and will require an important blend between resolve, resourcefulness, initiative and creativity to not just achieve but exceed expectations.
Humble and Hungry: The nature of our work is complex, requiring specific expertise, self-awareness and integrity balanced with a recognition that interdisciplinary solutions need to be created in new and different ways. Having the ability to create solutions for a more prosperous future for everyone should get you out of bed.
NO PHONE CALLS OR RECRUITERS, PLEASE
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, familial status, domestic violence status, or any other status protected by law.