Data Analyst (GIS)
Portland, Maine /
Maine Connectivity Authority – Information Technology /
The Maine Connectivity Authority is looking for a Data Analyst (GIS). The Maine Connectivity Authority (MCA) is a new quasi-governmental organization created in 2021 through a bi-partisan effort to bridge Maine’s digital divide through proactive investments and partnerships for high-speed internet connectivity for everyone in Maine. MCA will serve as the primary agency to plan, develop, manage, and invest in broadband in Maine capitalized with an initial $250M of funding through Federal Recovery Funds. We need to connect everyone to the modern digital society and build the foundation for Maine’s future. High speed internet access is essential to participation in the modern economy and has the potential to dramatically improve Mainers’ quality of life.
As a key member of the new organization’s rapidly growing team, the Data Analyst (GIS) reports to the Broadband Impact Director and provides specialized technical expertise in mapping, data visualization, geographic information systems (GIS) and spatial analysis and other technical areas related to broadband implementation. This role works closely with program staff in anticipating needs and solutions, and uses their subject matter expertise in broadband technology, infrastructure, and implementation to advance the State’s connectivity goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform mapping of the broadband infrastructure
- Interpret and analyze mapping and GIS data for private and federal sources, and/or grant applicants
- Providing technical analysis of current and future state of the required infrastructure to help with the development and utilization of funding strategies to accomplish connectivity goals
- Comply with federal funding rules with regards to eligibility and infrastructure buildout.
- Collaborate with the whole MCA team including outside support specialists, and appropriate federal and state specialists to understand, document and inform data
- Serve as a critical team member in shaping and developing strategies to meet goals
- Assist in the development of reports and visuals of current state, current needs, future state, and progress as the MCA mission progresses
- Work products will serve as a central role in public communications, presentations, digital media and policy roadmaps
- In-state travel may be needed from time to time
- Commitment to MCA’s Purpose, Principles, and Culture
- Attendance and participation in frequent meetings (internal, external and blended)
- Bachelor’s degree data science, or related fields or equivalent work experience with technical certifications
- Demonstrated professional work experience in related fields
- Data management of infrastructure that includes visualization of end users in addition to the assets
- Experience with data cataloging, data processing, manipulating data and managing geodatabases
- Experience with asset management
- Utility or broadband asset management experience a plus
- Experience managing data and building interfaces in ArcGIS Online platform.
- Experience analyzing and transferring data with the ArcGIS platform.
- Experience creating or using automated processes for the analysis and/or manipulation of data
- Experience creating automated data processes using ArcGIS toolsets and using python or similar languages
- Knowledge of non-profit, governmental, or quasi-governmental agencies, federal rules and regulations
- Experience with productivity tools, such as Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, and basic website content management systems.
SKILLS / ABILITIES QUALIFICATIONS:
- Customer focus
- Ability to anticipate needs and communication solutions, including being able to communicate what can be complex mapping and technical data to a variety of audiences
- Exceptional analytical skills, and detailed orientation
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Independently motivated, with the ability to take on tasks and duties without immediate direction
- Strong communication skills in written and verbal contexts
- Adaptable to new solutions or processes to ensure growth and success of the organizational priorities
- Ability to work as a team player and collaborate both internally and externally, while also balancing individual accountability
- Strong results orientation – demonstrated ability to be resourceful, take initiative, and maintain resolve to achieve results
- Ability to problem solve and create innovative solutions for the larger customer in mind
Culture: The Maine Connectivity Authority is a start-up organization with the need to rapidly scale into a high performing, high impact organization serving as a trusted leader charged with executing a critical public need. With this as our mission, team members will be evaluated on their competencies as a part of the organization’s character encompassing:
Adaptation and evolution: Continual learning and adjustment are critical to ensure the growth and success of organizational priorities.
Ownership and Collaboration: Accountability for follow through and success balanced with a team orientation and willingness to partner internally and externally.
Grit and Gumption: The vision and strategy is bold and will require an important blend between resolve, resourcefulness, initiative and creativity to not just achieve but exceed expectations.
Humble and Hungry: The nature of our work is complex, requiring specific expertise, self-awareness and integrity balanced with a recognition that interdisciplinary solutions need to be created in new and different ways. Having the ability to create solutions for a more prosperous future for everyone should get you out of bed.
NO PHONE CALLS OR RECRUITERS, PLEASE
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, familial status, domestic violence status, or any other status protected by law.