Financial Administrator-July 2022
Frye Island, Maine /
Town of Frye Island – Accounting/Finance /
The Town of Frye Island has an exciting opportunity for a Financial Administrator to join its team. Frye Island is located in Sebago Lake approximately 25 miles west of Portland, Maine, and is accessed by ferry boats operating every half hour from Raymond Cape off State Route 302. Frye Island is a friendly and vibrant community that became Maine's newest town in 1998!
The Financial Administrator will work closely with the Town Manager, Treasurer, Town Clerk, and other personnel to ensure sound and efficient financial operation. The Financial Administrator is responsible for administering financial functions, including payroll and related taxes, property tax collection and related records, and bookkeeping and financial management.
The ideal candidate will be a strong team player who is self-motivated, with a high level of professionalism and integrity.
The Town of Frye Island offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Financial Administrator:
Employment and Payroll:
- Maintain records for all employees in current and accurate state.
- Oversee and perform preparation of bi-weekly payroll, including data entry, submission of pay data to vendor, generation of payroll warrants for approval, issuing paychecks and deposits, and entering payroll data into the budgetary system.
- Ensure accurate FICA, Medicare, and Federal and State tax withholding and payments; prepare and/or review related withholding and unemployment tax reports.
- Oversee and perform issuance of W-2 and 1099 compensation reports in accordance with applicable rules.
- Administer employee benefit accounts, including retirement and healthcare plans, and workers compensation and unemployment claims.
- Oversee and perform issuance of real and personal property tax bills; administer collection and receipting of payments.
- Administer tax lien processes and records, including notices to taxpayers and recording of liens and releases in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and policies.
- Record and administer all tax supplements and abatements.
- Implements accounts payable processes, to include ensuring approval of purchases, setting up vendor accounts, accurate assignment of expenses to cost accounts, making timely payments to vendors and verification of expenditures against budget.
Bookkeeping and Financial Management:
- Oversee and perform disbursements in accordance with appropriate financial control procedures; prepare warrants for approval.
- Ensure accurate assignment of expenses to funds and accounts.
- Make general ledger entries.
- Monitor expenses against budget; notify the Town Manager, Treasurer, or other appropriate personnel of significant discrepancies; assist in resolution.
- Coordinate daily cash-outs from all departments; prepare or oversee bank deposits; reconcile bank statements with recorded receipts and disbursements on a monthly basis.
- Prepare reports and analyses as necessary to ensure financial control; assist in preparation of the annual town budget.
- Prepare and submit records and information needed for the annual audit, implement audit adjustments as required in
- Investigate and make recommendations for improvements in policies, systems, and software packages to improve accuracy and efficiency of financial management.
- Four-year college degree or associates degree in a discipline related to financial management.
- Strong background in bookkeeping or accounting, preferably in municipal environment(s).
- Unquestionable personal integrity.
- Proficiency with Harris Trio, or transferrable experience with analogous municipal management system(s).
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly to state software platforms including Bureau of Motor Vehicles and Inland Fisheries Wildlife (Moses) systems.
- Ability to understand and implement state and federal regulations, as well as relevant Town ordinances, policies, and procedures.
- Proficiency with use of MS Windows, Excel and Word, various email platforms.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly to new methods and changing demands.
- Strong work ethic with a commitment to professionalism; effective at self-motivation and time management.
- Ability to interact constructively and collaborate effectively with others.
- Strong orientation toward customer service.
NO PHONE CALLS OR RECRUITERS, PLEASE
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, familial status, domestic violence status, or any other status protected by law.