New York, NY
What is Knewton? At Knewton, we believe each student is unique and that their knowledge is not defined by their last answer. Sometimes what a student needs at any moment may not be the next lesson in their textbook. College professors use Knewton in place of a traditional textbook, to help students learn the material and succeed in their courses. Join us to help students have a more positive educational experience.
What have we accomplished since opening our doors in 2008? We’ve delivered more than 15 billion (that’s right, billion) personalized recommendations to over 14 million students on every continent (okay, except Antarctica). We are building on the success of our recently-launched Alta product to deliver educational software to colleges and universities across the country. We’re headquartered in NYC with offices in London and Tokyo. Investments top $150M from well-known angel investors plus Accel, Bessemer, First Round Capital, Firstmark, Founders Fund, GSV and Atomico.
Our team is seeking a Back End Engineer to join the Engineering team.
This is an outstanding opportunity to:
- Work with and learn from the world's best engineers
- Make a meaningful, positive impact on lives of students across the US and internationally
- Contribute to key engineering decisions regarding the technical direction of the team
- Quickly build world class consumer facing products that see daylight
Engineers must have:
- 3+ years experience in software development
- A track record of writing high-quality, well-tested and readable code
- Advanced understanding of Java, or another backend language
- Familiarity with Unix
- An understanding of relational database models
- An understanding of the trade-offs involved with NoSQL technologies
- A passion for transforming education
Not required but highly desired are:
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Familiarity with Docker Containers
- Understanding of Machine Learning techniques
- Competitive salary, great health insurance, and equity
- 401k match!
- Great coworkers with a passion for empowering students and educators
- Flexible hours, no vacation policy, and paid maternity/paternity leave
- High-quality equipment (default: a new Macbook Pro with a giant monitor)
- Social groups and sports teams
- Fully stocked kitchen with all-day snacks and a full bar
- Free lunches everyday and free dinners when you work late
- Free monthly MetroCards/PATH cards