Software Engineer, Decision-Making & Routing
Mountain View, CA /
Engineering – Motion Planning & Controls /
Kodiak was founded in April 2018 to develop autonomous technology that carries freight forward—so people, partners, and the planet thrive. Navigating highway environments presents vastly different challenges than urban streets. Kodiak’s experienced team has developed the industry’s most advanced technology stack purpose-built specifically for long-haul trucks. From our sensor fusion system that maximizes the value of every sensing modality, to our unique lightweight mapping solution that allows our trucks to navigate ever-changing highway construction zones, our world-class team of industry pioneers is bringing the benefits of autonomy to the $800B a year trucking industry quickly, safely, and efficiently.
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join our Planning team and take a key role in improving the Kodiak Driver’s ability to safely and gracefully handle challenging road conditions.
- Play a key role in improving how the Kodiak Driver handles a variety of challenging situations
- Design and implement novel solutions to allow the truck to better handle driving situations ranging from the common (e.g., merges, lane changes) to the unusual (e.g., construction zones, aggressive drivers)
- Improve our routing algorithms to produce efficient routes
- Build tools that enable us to leverage real-world logs to improve our algorithms
- Work closely with other teams to establish interfaces and requirements
- Invent cross-functional solutions to cutting-edge problems in autonomous-driving
You must have:
- A strong background in robotics, planning, optimization, and mathematics (MS, PhD, or equivalent experience)
- Software development experience writing production-level C++
- High standards for software quality and rigor, and a testing-oriented mentality
- Good communication skills and a collaborative bent
- Proven ability to iterate quickly and work hands-on
Bonus points if you have:
- Written software that has run on real robots
- Knowledge of modern C++ (c++14 and newer) and version control systems (e.g., git)
- An understanding of both classic and state-of-the-art approaches to decision making under uncertainty, MDPs and POMDPs, probabilistic reasoning, etc.
- A desire to collaborate with other teams outside of planning
What we offer:
- A place with big goals that we trust we can achieve
- A fast paced environment where we work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and competitive pay. Every employee is a stakeholder in Kodiak’s success
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Flexible PTO and generous parental leave policies
- A beautiful facility in Mountain View
- We love our dogs, so we are a dog friendly office!
- Free catered lunch
At Kodiak, we strive to build a diverse community working towards our common company goals in a safe and collaborative environment where harassment of any kind is strictly prohibited. Kodiak is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.