Systems Engineer, Controls
Mountain View, CA /
Engineering – Systems Engineering /
Kodiak was founded in April 2018 to develop autonomous technology that carries freight forward—so people, partners, and the planet thrive. Navigating highway environments presents vastly different challenges than urban streets. Kodiak’s experienced team has developed the industry’s most advanced technology stack purpose-built specifically for long-haul trucks. From our sensor fusion system that maximizes the value of every sensing modality, to our unique lightweight mapping solution that allows our trucks to navigate ever-changing highway construction zones, our world-class team of industry pioneers is bringing the benefits of autonomy to the $800B a year trucking industry quickly, safely, and efficiently.
We are looking for a Systems Engineer with a focus on Controls to define, validate, and verify control requirements as we bring the Kodiak Driver to market. We first published our Safety Report in 2019 and have based our development on systems engineering, the ISO26262 process and SOTIF principles.
What we are looking for:
- Develop top-down control and planning requirements for steering, braking and throttle to allow the truck to handle all driving situations (e.g., merges, lane changes, weather and construction zones)
- Capture bottoms-up requirements from our working prototypes
- Author ISO 26262 artifacts (Item Definitions, HARAs, Safety and Security Analysis, FMEAs and verification reports) for control components
- Develop dynamic models in conjunction with input from the systems engineering, controls, system integration, and infrastructure teams to define and validate requirements
- Allocate control and planning requirements to the appropriate hardware and software components, based on functional analysis and an understanding of the system architecture
- Perform controller verification and validation testing
- Support software quality in resolving issues from a systems perspective
- Theoretical and practical experience in controls, system modeling and/or redundancy architectures (MS, PhD or equivalent experience)
- Experience in requirements management and V&V testing
- Be a systems thinker
- Good communication skills with a collaborative bent
- Experience with functional safety standards such as ISO 26262 and UL-4600 and generation of related artifacts (ID, HARA, FMEA, V&V reports).
- Experience with Matlab/Simulink, dSpace or Rational tools
- Experience with communication protocols (CAN, CANalyzer, Ethernet)
Bonus points if you have:
- ISO 26262 Functional Safety professional certification
- Experience with high assurance software development processes such as DO-178C or ARP4754A
- Previously developed software and embedded system controls that have run on mobile autonomous robots, vehicles or aircraft
- Knowledge of modern C++ and version control systems
What we can offer:
- A place with big goals that we trust we can achieve
- A fast paced environment where we work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and competitive pay; every employee is a stakeholder in Kodiak’s success
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Flexible PTO and generous parental leave policies
- A beautiful facility in Mountain View, CA
- We love our dogs, so we are a dog friendly office!
At Kodiak, we strive to build a diverse community working towards our common company goals in a safe and collaborative environment where harassment of any kind is strictly prohibited. Kodiak is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.