Software Engineering Manager - Infrastructure
Mountain View, CA /
Engineering – Infrastructure /
Kodiak was founded in April 2018 to develop autonomous technology that carries freight forward—so people, partners, and the planet thrive. Navigating highway environments presents vastly different challenges than urban streets. Kodiak’s experienced team has developed the industry’s most advanced technology stack purpose-built specifically for long-haul trucks. From our sensor fusion system that maximizes the value of every sensing modality, to our unique lightweight mapping solution that allows our trucks to navigate ever-changing highway construction zones, our world-class team of industry pioneers is bringing the benefits of autonomy to the $800B a year trucking industry quickly, safely, and efficiently.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager, Infrastructure Software to join us and drive the development of the building blocks of our autonomous vehicle stack and surrounding services.
In this role, you will:
- Lead a team of exceptionally talented Software Engineers responsible for the architecture and components of our basic software stack
- Advance the teams’ work on embedded platforms and real-time operating systems, Linux performance improvements, high-performance computing using GPUs, debugging tools, build environments, logging and data storage, visualization of internals of the autonomy stack, and data processing pipelines to enable verification of recorded data
- Drive the formulation and review of team roadmaps and objectives
- Work closely with the product, hardware, perception and other software teams to define, discover, and implement requirements while providing an exceptionally stable platform as a base for our autonomous vehicles
- Diagnose and drive resolution on issues in the vehicle software stack across all disciplines
- Attract, grow, and retain top talent by coaching, providing technical direction, and facilitating career development opportunities
- Strong technical background: MS or PhD, or equivalent experience, in Software Engineering with 10+ years of experience in the automotive, aerospace or related industry. You understand the design and architecture of safety-critical systems, you know about modern programming languages, and you have deep prior experience with building complex systems ranging from embedded systems to running software in the cloud. Prior experience in verification and validation of autonomous systems is a strong plus
- Hands on experience in implementing and shipping complex software projects
- Experience with software running on microcontrollers, real-time systems and automotive interface standards
- Exceptional knowledge of C++ and C
- Exceptional knowledge of build systems, release processes, issue tracking, and triage processes
- Proven ability to build and iterate quickly. You have experienced product development in all of its stages and are comfortable in the earlier stages – moving from zero to one.
- Hands on. You are just as comfortable getting your hands dirty analyzing a subsystem in the shop as when using a keyboard.
- Great communicator. You have experience writing clear, concise, and detailed documentation including engineering requirement documents, block diagrams and state diagrams. You know how to facilitate tradeoffs between engineering and product requirements, but always maintain high safety standards
- Passion. You are passionate about autonomous vehicles and their potential impact on humanity.
What we can offer:
- A place with big goals that we trust we can achieve.
- A fast paced environment where we work with talented, committed and supportive teammates.
- Equity and competitive pay. Every employee is a stakeholder in Kodiak’s success.
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits.
- Flexible PTO and generous parental leave policies.
- A beautiful facility in Mountain View.
- We love our dogs, so we are a dog friendly office!
At Kodiak, we strive to build a diverse community working towards our common company goals in a safe and collaborative environment where harassment of any kind is strictly prohibited. Kodiak is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.