Software Engineer, Sensor Calibration
Mountain View, CA /
Engineering – Perception /
Kodiak was founded in April 2018 to develop autonomous technology that carries freight forward—so people, partners, and the planet thrive. Navigating highway environments presents vastly different challenges than urban streets. Kodiak’s experienced team has developed the industry’s most advanced technology stack purpose-built specifically for long-haul trucks. From our sensor fusion system that maximizes the value of every sensing modality, to our unique lightweight mapping solution that allows our trucks to navigate ever-changing highway construction zones, our world-class team of industry pioneers is bringing the benefits of autonomy to the $800B a year trucking industry quickly, safely, and efficiently.
We are looking for a highly skilled Software Engineer to develop software for calibration estimation and monitoring across a nationwide fleet of self-driving trucks. Your code will be critical to the accuracy of the Kodiak Vision perception system and safe driverless performance in every scenario.
In this role, you will:
- Be responsible for designing and implementing Kodiak’s methods for sensor calibration in well-tested C++ code, deployment across the fleet, and evaluation of performance over time.
- Develop software for automatic calibration of camera, lidar, radar, and ultrasound sensors based on state-of-the art techniques.
- Define, implement, and optimize key sensor calibration metrics as they relate to perception performance. Minimize truck calibration error across the fleet.
- Define out-of-tolerance specifications based on driving requirements and develop methods to identify out-of-tolerance calibration at vehicle commissioning, start-up, and in real-time during driverless missions.
- Implement continuous automatic correction techniques and methods to recognize and report unrecoverable errors.
- Build tools for reporting calibration errors and results and track these over time.
- Operationalize calibration software by working with the integration team to deploy into the build and commissioning process. Continuously improve the calibration process to minimize cost, vehicle downtime, and calibration time.
- Collaborate closely with other experts on the team in sensors, perception, prediction, planning, and systems engineering teams.
- Strong technical background. BS, MS or PhD with academic or industry experience in calibration or optimization. Skilled in C++. Strong problem-solving skills.
- Strong software engineering skills. You write well-designed, maintainable code.
- Solid theoretical foundation. Solid foundation in the mathematics of optimization, projective geometry, space transformations, probability, and statistics. Familiar with modern calibration techniques. Comfortable reviewing the literature and implementing methods from papers and texts. Strong data modeling skills.
- Sensor expertise. Experience working with sensor data (camera, lidar, radar, ultrasound). Deep expertise in one or many of the sensor modalities is a plus. Familiar with sensor intrinsic and extrinsic models for each modality, underlying factors motivating model selection, and sources of error.
- Analysis skills. Ability to define experiments, collect and analyze data, and draw conclusions in order to root cause problems observed in the field. Excel at turning root causes into design and implementations to resolve them permanently.
- A team player. You take ownership and work with the team to deliver exceptional results. You are interested in the performance of the entire system across engineering disciplines, eager to teach colleagues, and enjoy learning from others.
- Ability to build and iterate quickly. You enjoy working fast and smart, and you are comfortable in defining and building lasting components from scratch.
- Hands on. You are experienced working with production systems, hardware devices, and calibration software depended upon for mission success.
- Great communicator. You have experience writing clear, concise, and detailed documentation.
What we can offer:
- A place with big goals that we trust we can achieve
- A fast paced environment where we work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and competitive pay; every employee is a stakeholder in Kodiak’s success
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Flexible PTO and generous parental leave policies
- A beautiful facility in Mountain View
- We love our dogs, so we are a dog friendly office!
- Free catered lunch
At Kodiak, we strive to build a diverse community working towards our common company goals in a safe and collaborative environment where harassment of any kind is strictly prohibited. Kodiak is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.