Software Engineer, Sensor Fusion & State Estimation
Mountain View, CA /
Engineering – Perception /
Kodiak was founded in April 2018 to develop autonomous technology that carries freight forward—so people, partners, and the planet thrive. Navigating highway environments presents vastly different challenges than urban streets. Kodiak’s experienced team has developed the industry’s most advanced technology stack purpose-built specifically for long-haul trucks. From our sensor fusion system that maximizes the value of every sensing modality, to our unique lightweight mapping solution that allows our trucks to navigate ever-changing highway construction zones, our world-class team of industry pioneers is bringing the benefits of autonomy to the $800B a year trucking industry quickly, safely, and efficiently.
We are looking for a sensor fusion and state estimation engineer --- a problem solver with solid expertise in sensor fusion, state estimation, target tracking, and uncertainty modelling. Your skills will be put to work across the stack including perception, scene understanding, pose estimation, and navigation.
In this role, you will:
- Develop and integrate onboard sensor fusion algorithms.
- Use principled approaches for fusing information from multiple modalities: camera, radar, lidar, thermal, and IMU.
- Develop fusion engines including early and late fusion.
- Improve multi-target tracking performance including track initiation, measurement to track association, and track state maintenance.
- Develop tooling, metrics, and visualization to verify sensor fusion performance.
- Troubleshoot, problem solve, innovate, create, and collaborate.
- Strong technical background. BS, MS or PhD with academic or industry experience in building state estimation and sensor fusion architectures.
- Domain Expertise. Topics of interest include sensor fusion, Kalman filtering, particle filtering, bayesian estimation, data association, multi-target tracking, neural nets, behavioral prediction, localization and mapping.
- Skilled in C++ and strong problem-solving skills.
- Strong software engineering skills and experience building high-reliability deployed applications . You write well-designed, highly maintainable code. Code is your craft.
- Solid understanding of metrics, data analysis, and scientific evaluation.
- A team player. You take ownership and work with the team to deliver exceptional results. You are interested in the performance of the entire system across engineering disciplines.
- Ability to build and iterate quickly. You enjoy working fast and smart, and you are comfortable in defining and building lasting infrastructure components from scratch.
- Hands on. Curious. Flexible. Interested in new domains to expand your horizons and provide a complete system wide solution.
- Great communicator. You have experience writing clear, concise design documentation to gather feedback from across the team to find the best solution.
What we can offer:
- A place with big goals that we trust we can achieve
- A fast paced environment where we work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and competitive pay; every employee is a stakeholder in Kodiak’s success
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Flexible PTO and generous parental leave policies
- A beautiful facility in Mountain View
- We love our dogs, so we are a dog friendly office!
- Free catered lunch
At Kodiak, we strive to build a diverse community working towards our common company goals in a safe and collaborative environment where harassment of any kind is strictly prohibited. Kodiak is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.