Systems Engineer, Fault Management
Mountain View, CA
Engineering – Systems Engineering /
Kodiak Robotics has built the best self-driving technology purpose-built for long-haul trucks and defense applications. We care deeply because this technology will save lives and transform the freight industry. Lauded by commercial partners as the safest and most capable autonomous freight solution on the market, the Kodiak team is ushering in a new era of transportation. We’re led by many of the self-driving industry’s leading minds, who have built Kodiak’s technology from day one to be deployable and scalable. This includes Kodiak’s unique modular hardware approach that integrates sensors into a streamlined sensor-pod structure, optimizing for perception, scalability, and maintainability. The company delivers freight daily for its customers across the country, for some of the biggest names in trucking and most recognizable brands. Over the past year and a half, we announced commercial partnerships with a range of companies including IKEA, Pilot Company, Werner Enterprises, Forward, U.S. Xpress, and CEVA Logistics. We have demonstrated fundamental tech differentiators such as an on-road fallback, maintaining control of a truck after a catastrophic steer tire blowout, and our hot-swappable SensorPod.
The Systems and Safety Engineering team at Kodiak is looking for a Systems Engineer who can lead Fault management strategies from architecture to validation to ensure compliance against safety policies and in support of driverless deployment
In this role you will:
- Collaborate across hardware and software teams over Autonomy and Vehicle Platform
- Lead efforts to ensure fault detection, isolation and recovery (response - FDIR). This work would span ensuring coverage and completeness of fault management
- Drive design and development of diagnostics to ensure sufficiency, independence and coverage included but not limited to mitigation, reaction and notification.
- Accountability and Management of failure response included qualitative and quantitative risk management associated with safe states
- Develop appropriate work products such as requirements, system analysis and V&V frameworks to mature fault management design and release.
- Work with the SW and HW teams to generate evidence in support of fault management
- Provide analysis to support complex autonomy system design trade-offs to inform system design decisions affecting safety and performance.
- Lead efforts with Driverless Safety Case Maturity
What you’ll bring:
- Experienced in Systems Engineering V model and application within product life cycle
- Experience with fault management, diagnostic development, safe state identification and development
- Experienced with analysis methods such as HARA, FMEA, FMECA, FTA, STPA
- Strong skills in requirements, architecture, V&V test plan development and experience with Software in the Loop (SIL) & Hardware in the Loop (HIL)
- Strong Communication Skills - Verbal and written
- Ability to work across hardware and software
- Ability to read C or C++ and ability to write code in Python ( or experience with alternate scripting languages to perform data analysis)
An ideal candidate may also bring some of the following experiences:
- Experience with requirement management, project management, systems analysis and Model based development tools
- Experienced with quantitative risk assessment and relevant statistical models
- Familiarity with any of UL4600,ISO 26262, DO 178, ISO21448 , IEC 61508, MIL-882 standards and Goal Structured Notation
- Prior experience with autonomous systems
- Familiarity with real-time safety critical systems.
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation package including equity and biannual bonuses
- Excellent Medical, Dental, and Vision plans through Kaiser Permanente, Anthem, and Guardian (including a medical plan with infertility benefits)
- Flexible PTO and generous parental leave policies
- Office perks: dog-friendly, free catered lunch, a fully stocked kitchen, and free EV charging
- Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability, Life Insurance
- Wellbeing Benefits - Headspace, One Medical, Gympass, Spring Health
- Fidelity 401(k)
- Commuter, FSA, Dependent Care FSA, HSA
- Various incentive programs (referral bonuses, patent bonuses, etc.)
The salary range for this full-time position is $175,000 - $220,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. We can share more about the specific salary range for your job level during the hiring process. Please note that the compensation details listed above are base salary only and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At Kodiak, we strive to build a diverse community working towards our common company goals in a safe and collaborative environment where harassment of any kind is strictly prohibited. Kodiak is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
In alignment with its business operations, Kodiak adheres to all relevant U.S. national security statutes, regulations, and administrative prerequisites. These statutes may impose limitations on Kodiak's capacity to engage specific individuals in particular roles based on various national security-related criteria. Consequently, the eligibility for this position may hinge on Kodiak's verification of a candidate's residence, U.S. person status, and/or citizenship status. In accordance with these statutes , Kodiak may find it necessary to secure a U.S. government export license before disseminating its technologies to specific individuals. Should Kodiak determine that a candidate's residence, U.S. person status, and/or citizenship status necessitate a license, prohibit the candidate from assuming this position, or otherwise fall under national security-related restrictions, Kodiak explicitly retains the right to either assess the candidate for an alternative position unaffected by such restrictions, under terms and conditions set forth at Kodiak's sole discretion, or, as an alternative, opt not to proceed with the candidate's application.