Software Engineer, Embedded
Mountain View, CA /
Engineering – Electrical & Embedded /
Kodiak was founded in April 2018 to develop autonomous technology that carries freight forward—so people, partners, and the planet thrive. Navigating highway environments presents vastly different challenges than urban streets. Kodiak’s experienced team has developed the industry’s most advanced technology stack purpose-built specifically for long-haul trucks. From our sensor fusion system that maximizes the value of every sensing modality, to our unique lightweight mapping solution that allows our trucks to navigate ever-changing highway construction zones, our world-class team of industry pioneers is bringing the benefits of autonomy to the $800B a year trucking industry quickly, safely, and efficiently.
We are looking for an Embedded Software Engineer with a background in embedded systems who understands the fundamentals of hardware design and test. The role will work closely with the hardware engineering team developing, testing, and integrating low level hardware features along with diagnostics to ensure the health of the platform. The role will work collaboratively across software and electrical engineering, and integration teams to build safe, reliable systems.
In this role, you will:
- Collaborate with hardware EE on design and test of high reliable hardware systems
- Collaborate with software engineering on architecture, optimizations and reviews
- Contribute to hardware specifications to ensure test coverage and fault detection
- Participate in hands-on hardware bring-up in the engineering lab using analyzers and probes
- Debug common truck functions on the vehicles (Driver interfaces, Braking, Steering)
- Develop software for embedded platforms (x86, ARM) in C/C++
- Develop software for sensors. Evaluation and production (Camera, Radar, Lidar, IMU)
- Develop software for network devices, time synchronization experience a plus
- Strong technical background. BS or MS, or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Engineering
- 2+ years of software development experience, ideally within the automotive, aerospace or a related industry
- Extensive programming experience in C/C++
- Deep knowledge of embedded programming platforms
- Good understanding of networking fundamentals
- Experience with implementation and on-vehicle debugging of low level hardware buses such as I2C, CAN, SPI, and UART
- Experience with high speed hardware communication such as PCIe and Automotive Ethernet
- Hands on. You are just as comfortable getting your hands dirty analyzing a subsystem in the shop as when using a keyboard.
- Great communicator. You have experience writing clear, concise, and detailed documentation
- Passion. You are passionate about autonomous vehicles and their potential impact on humanity
What we offer:
- A place with big goals that we trust we can achieve.
- A fast paced environment where we work with talented, committed and supportive teammates.
- Equity and competitive pay. Every employee is a stakeholder in Kodiak’s success.
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits.
- Flexible PTO and generous parental leave policies.
- A beautiful facility in Mountain View.
- We love our dogs, so we are a dog friendly office!
- Free catered lunch
At Kodiak, we strive to build a diverse community working towards our common company goals in a safe and collaborative environment where harassment of any kind is strictly prohibited. Kodiak is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.