Systems Engineer, Verification & Validation
Mountain View, CA /
Engineering – Systems Engineering /
Kodiak was founded in April 2018 to develop autonomous technology that carries freight forward—so people, partners, and the planet thrive. Navigating highway environments presents vastly different challenges than urban streets. Kodiak’s experienced team has developed the industry’s most advanced technology stack purpose-built specifically for long-haul trucks. From our sensor fusion system that maximizes the value of every sensing modality, to our unique lightweight mapping solution that allows our trucks to navigate ever-changing highway construction zones, our world-class team of industry pioneers is bringing the benefits of autonomy to the $800B a year trucking industry quickly, safely, and efficiently.
We are looking for a Systems Engineer to join us and develop autonomous hardware.
In this role, you will:
- Be responsible for the architecture, integration, verification, and validation of our software, sensing hardware, redundant AV computing, and redundant actuation systems
- Conduct mechanical, thermal, humidity, ingress, and electrical testing, analyze data, and create reports
- Work closely with the product, hardware, and software teams to define, author, and implement engineering requirements
- Develop test plans and specifications for automotive environmental testing
- Design test fixtures and support hardware builds
- Diagnose and drive resolution of technical issues
- Contribute to system safety and reliability, including formal systems activities such as ISO 26262 Functional Safety
- Provide design feedback based on test results
- Manage relationships with testing teams, suppliers, and partners
- Strong technical background. MS or PhD, or equivalent experience, in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Physics, with 5+ years of experience in the automotive, aerospace or related industry. You understand the design and architecture of safety-critical systems, you know how to analyze systems using structured approaches (such as DFMEA and FTA), and you have deep prior experience with actuation, propulsion, and/or sensing technologies. Prior experience in validation of autonomous systems is a strong plus
- A team leader. Whether formally or informally, you have previously played the lead role on several projects. You take ownership and drive the team to deliver exceptional results
- Proven ability to build and iterate quickly. You have experienced product development in all of its stages and are comfortable in the earlier stages – moving from zero to one.
- Hands on. You are just as comfortable getting your hands dirty analyzing a subsystem in the shop as when using a keyboard
- Great communicator. You have experience writing clear, concise, and detailed documentation including engineering requirements documents, block diagrams and state diagrams. You know how to facilitate tradeoffs between engineering and product requirements, but always maintain high safety standards.
What we can offer:
- Competitive compensation package including equity and biannual bonuses
- Excellent Medical, Dental, and Vision plans through Kaiser Permanente, Anthem, and Guardian (including a medical plan with infertility benefits)
- Flexible PTO and generous parental leave policies
- Office perks: dog-friendly, free catered lunch, a fully stocked kitchen, and free EV charging
- Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability, Life Insurance
- Wellbeing Benefits - Headspace, One Medical, Gympass, Spring Health
- Fidelity 401(k)
- Commuter, FSA, Dependent Care FSA, HSA
- Various incentive programs (referral bonuses, patent bonuses, etc.)
The annual salary range for this full-time position is $150,000-$220,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. We can share more about the specific salary range for your job level during the hiring process. Please note that the compensation details listed above are base salary only and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At Kodiak, we strive to build a diverse community working towards our common company goals in a safe and collaborative environment where harassment of any kind is strictly prohibited. Kodiak is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.