Senior Mechanical Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Engineering – Hardware /
Kodiak was founded in April 2018 to develop autonomous technology that carries freight forward—so people, partners, and the planet thrive. Navigating highway environments presents vastly different challenges than urban streets. Kodiak’s experienced team has developed the industry’s most advanced technology stack purpose-built specifically for long-haul trucks. From our sensor fusion system that maximizes the value of every sensing modality, to our unique lightweight mapping solution that allows our trucks to navigate ever-changing highway construction zones, our world-class team of industry pioneers is bringing the benefits of autonomy to the $800B a year trucking industry quickly, safely, and efficiently.
We are looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to develop hardware for our next generation vehicle. You will join a well-rounded mechanical team with experts in design, analysis, drafting, and fabrication. Development is fast paced with in-house testing equipment, software tools, CNC machining and 3D printing. This is your opportunity to make an impact on our cutting edge technology.
In this role, you will:
- Own next generation mechanical designs from concept through production using CAD (SolidWorks)
- Perform thermal, flow, and aerodynamic analysis using FEA and CFD (SolidWorks and Ansys)
- This role is 50% analysis and 50% design
- Plan and conduct testing to verify analysis results
- Use analysis and test results to influence design changes
- Conduct trade studies and participate in design reviews
- Manage project schedule and tasks including test and build events
- Author and release documentation to internal and external teams
- Collaborate with other engineering teams on requirements, architectures, and roadmaps
- Guide and mentor other mechanical engineers
- Strong technical background. BS or MS, or equivalent experience, in Mechanical Engineering with 5+ years of experience in the automotive, aerospace or related industry. Strong CAD experience with packages such as SolidWorks, NX, Catia, and/or Creo.
- Specialization in thermal and flow analysis. Experience with aerodynamics is a plus (Solidworks CFD, Flotherm, Icepak)
- A technical leader. Whether formally or informally, you have previously played the lead role on several projects. You take ownership and deliver exceptional results.
- Proven ability to build and iterate quickly. You have experienced product development in all of its stages and are comfortable in the earlier stages – moving from Concept to Production.
- Hands on. You are just as comfortable with a wrench as a keyboard. You have a deep understanding of manufacturing processes for both low and high volume production.
- Great communicator. You have experience writing clear, concise, and detailed documentation. You are skilled in leading and participating in cross-functional design reviews.
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation package including equity and biannual bonuses
- Excellent Medical, Dental, and Vision plans through Kaiser Permanente, Anthem, and Guardian (including a medical plan with infertility benefits)
- Flexible PTO and generous parental leave policies
- Office perks: dog-friendly, free catered lunch, a fully stocked kitchen, and free EV charging
- Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability, Life Insurance
- Wellbeing Benefits - Headspace, One Medical, Gympass, Spring Health
- Fidelity 401(k)
- Commuter, FSA, Dependent Care FSA, HSA
- Various incentive programs (referral bonuses, patent bonuses, etc.)
The annual salary range for this full-time position is $150,000-$190,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. We can share more about the specific salary range for your job level during the hiring process. Please note that the compensation details listed above are base salary only and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At Kodiak, we strive to build a diverse community working towards our common company goals in a safe and collaborative environment where harassment of any kind is strictly prohibited. Kodiak is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
In alignment with its business operations, Kodiak adheres to all relevant U.S. national security statutes, regulations, and administrative prerequisites. These statutes may impose limitations on Kodiak's capacity to engage specific individuals in particular roles based on various national security-related criteria. Consequently, the eligibility for this position may hinge on Kodiak's verification of a candidate's residence, U.S. person status, and/or citizenship status. In accordance with these statutes , Kodiak may find it necessary to secure a U.S. government export license before disseminating its technologies to specific individuals. Should Kodiak determine that a candidate's residence, U.S. person status, and/or citizenship status necessitate a license, prohibit the candidate from assuming this position, or otherwise fall under national security-related restrictions, Kodiak explicitly retains the right to either assess the candidate for an alternative position unaffected by such restrictions, under terms and conditions set forth at Kodiak's sole discretion, or, as an alternative, opt not to proceed with the candidate's application.