Software Engineer, Deep Learning for Computer Vision
Mountain View, CA /
Engineering – Perception /
Kodiak was founded in April 2018 to develop autonomous technology that carries freight forward—so people, partners, and the planet thrive. Navigating highway environments presents vastly different challenges than urban streets. Kodiak’s experienced team has developed the industry’s most advanced technology stack purpose-built specifically for long-haul trucks. From our sensor fusion system that maximizes the value of every sensing modality, to our unique lightweight mapping solution that allows our trucks to navigate ever-changing highway construction zones, our world-class team of industry pioneers is bringing the benefits of autonomy to the $800B a year trucking industry quickly, safely, and efficiently.
We are looking for a highly skilled Software Engineer with a focus on deep learning for computer vision applications to join us and solve real-world robotics problems.
In this role, you will:
- Be responsible for designing machine learning algorithms and implementing them in robust, efficient, and well-tested C++ and/or Python code.
- Lead the development of deep neural networks to solve real-world robotics challenges such as lane detection, object detection and classification, sensor fusion, tracking, prediction, anomaly detection, and planning.
- Work with camera, laser, radar, and ultrasound data and curate datasets for machine learning.
- Set up automated training pipelines and develop data analytics tools to incrementally improve our performance on a growing dataset.
- Collaborate closely with other experts on the team, including the planning and systems engineering team.
- Strong technical background. BS, MS or PhD with academic or industry experience in designing and implementing deep neural networks. You are a skilled software engineer with experience in C++ and strong problem-solving skills. You are passionate about solving real-world robotics problems, and you have ideally worked on autonomous robots before. You ideally also have a strong knowledge of data processing pipelines for training ML models in the cloud.
- A team player. You take ownership and work with the team to deliver exceptional results. You are interested in the performance of the entire system across engineering disciplines.
- Ability to build and iterate quickly. You enjoy working fast and smart, and you are comfortable in the earlier stages of developing an algorithm from scratch.
- Hands on. You are not only passionate about ML research but also experienced working with production machine learning pipelines, from dataset collection and labeling to training and validation.
- Great communicator. You have experience writing clear, concise, and detailed documentation. You can enable your colleagues to leverage the ML models resulting from your work in their algorithms and systems.
- Competitive compensation package including equity and biannual bonuses
- Excellent Medical, Dental, and Vision plans through Kaiser Permanente, Anthem, and Guardian (including a medical plan with infertility benefits)
- Flexible PTO and generous parental leave policies
- Office perks: dog-friendly, free catered lunch, a fully stocked kitchen, and free EV charging
- Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability, Life Insurance
- Wellbeing Benefits - Headspace, One Medical, Gympass, Spring Health
- Fidelity 401(k)
- Commuter, FSA, Dependent Care FSA, HSA
- Various incentive programs (referral bonuses, patent bonuses, etc.)
The annual salary range for this full-time position is $175,000-$275,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. We can share more about the specific salary range for your job level during the hiring process. Please note that the compensation details listed above are base salary only and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At Kodiak, we strive to build a diverse community working towards our common company goals in a safe and collaborative environment where harassment of any kind is strictly prohibited. Kodiak is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.