Software Engineer, Vehicle Localization
Mountain View, CA /
Engineering – Mapping & Localization /
Kodiak was founded in April 2018 to develop autonomous technology that carries freight forward—so people, partners, and the planet thrive. Navigating highway environments presents vastly different challenges than urban streets. Kodiak’s experienced team has developed the industry’s most advanced technology stack purpose-built specifically for long-haul trucks. From our sensor fusion system that maximizes the value of every sensing modality, to our unique lightweight mapping solution that allows our trucks to navigate ever-changing highway construction zones, our world-class team of industry pioneers is bringing the benefits of autonomy to the $800B a year trucking industry quickly, safely, and efficiently.
We are looking for a localization engineer --- a problem solver with solid expertise in state estimation, inertial navigation, and sensed odometry.
In this role, you will:
- Develop and integrate onboard navigation and pose estimation algorithms.
- Optimize sensor fusion and pose estimation using IMU, camera, and lidar sensors.
- Develop visual and lidar odometry algorithms.
- Develop navigation metrics for evaluating algorithms specifically for the autonomous trucking domain.
- Troubleshoot, problem solve, innovate, create, and collaborate.
- Evaluate sensor performance and optimize sensor selection.
- Verify correct sensor calibrations, settings, and uncertainty characterizations.
- Strong technical background. BS, MS or PhD with academic or industry experience in building navigation, localization, and odometry systems.
- Skilled in C++ and strong problem-solving skills.
- Strong software engineering skills and experience building high-reliability deployed applications . You write well-designed, highly maintainable code. Code is your craft.
- Experience with IMUs, and wrangling IMU data, especially in the automotive domain.
- Experience with computer vision, visual odometry, and/or odometry from point clouds
- Solid understanding of metrics, data analysis, and scientific evaluation.
- A team player. You take ownership and work with the team to deliver exceptional results. You are interested in the performance of the entire system across engineering disciplines.
- Ability to build and iterate quickly. You enjoy working fast and smart, and you are comfortable in defining and building lasting infrastructure components from scratch.
- Hands on. Curious. Flexible. Interested in new domains to expand your horizons and provide a complete system wide solution.
- Great communicator. You have experience writing clear, concise design documentation to gather feedback from across the team to find the best solution.
What we can offer:
- A place with big goals that we trust we can achieve
- A fast paced environment where we work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and competitive pay; every employee is a stakeholder in Kodiak’s success
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- Flexible PTO and generous parental leave policies
- A beautiful facility in Mountain View
- We love our dogs, so we are a dog friendly office!
- Free catered lunch
At Kodiak, we strive to build a diverse community working towards our common company goals in a safe and collaborative environment where harassment of any kind is strictly prohibited. Kodiak is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.