Mountain View, CA /
Engineering – Perception /
Kodiak was founded in April 2018 to develop autonomous technology that carries freight forward—so people, partners, and the planet thrive. Navigating highway environments presents vastly different challenges than urban streets. Kodiak’s experienced team has developed the industry’s most advanced technology stack purpose-built specifically for long-haul trucks. From our sensor fusion system that maximizes the value of every sensing modality, to our unique lightweight mapping solution that allows our trucks to navigate ever-changing highway construction zones, our world-class team of industry pioneers is bringing the benefits of autonomy to the $800B a year trucking industry quickly, safely, and efficiently.
We are looking for a highly skilled Perception Engineer to join us and solve real-world robotics problems.
In this role, you will:
- Be responsible for designing perception algorithms and implementing them in robust, efficient, and well-tested C++ code.
- Solve real-world perception challenges such as lane detection, object detection and classification, tracking, sensor fusion, localization, mapping, or sensor calibration.
- Integrate both novel and well-established techniques such as deep neural networks, decision trees, Kalman and particle filters, or point cloud processing on camera, laser, radar, and ultrasound data.
- Collaborate closely with other experts on the team, including the planning and systems engineering team.
- Strong technical background. BS, MS or PhD with 2+ years of academic or industry experience in designing and implementing perception algorithms. You are a skilled software engineer with experience in C++ and strong problem-solving skills. You are passionate about solving real-world robotics problems, and you have ideally worked on autonomous robots before. Prior knowledge of working with deep neural networks is a strong plus.
- A team player. You take ownership and work with the team to deliver exceptional results. You are interested in the performance of the entire system across engineering disciplines.
- Ability to build and iterate quickly. You enjoy working fast and smart, and you are comfortable in the earlier stages of developing an algorithm from scratch.
- Hands on. You dig deep into important details such as the sensor driver if it improves the overall system. You like working with production machine learning pipelines, from dataset collection and labeling to training and validation.
- Great communicator. You have experience writing clear, concise, and detailed documentation.
What we offer:
- A place with big goals that we trust we can achieve.
- A fast paced environment where we work with talented, committed and supportive teammates.
- Equity and competitive pay. Every employee is a stakeholder in Kodiak’s success.
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits.
- Flexible PTO and generous parental leave policies.
- A beautiful facility in Mountain View.
- We love our dogs, so we are a dog friendly office!
At Kodiak, we strive to build a diverse community working towards our common company goals in a safe and collaborative environment where harassment of any kind is strictly prohibited. Kodiak is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.