Hardware Engineer, Electrical
Mountain View, CA
Engineering – Hardware /
Kodiak Robotics has built the best self-driving technology purpose-built for long-haul trucks and defense applications. We care deeply because this technology will save lives and transform the freight industry. Lauded by commercial partners as the safest and most capable autonomous freight solution on the market, the Kodiak team is ushering in a new era of transportation. We’re led by many of the self-driving industry’s leading minds, who have built Kodiak’s technology from day one to be deployable and scalable. This includes Kodiak’s unique modular hardware approach that integrates sensors into a streamlined sensor-pod structure, optimizing for perception, scalability, and maintainability. The company delivers freight daily for its customers across the country, for some of the biggest names in trucking and most recognizable brands. Over the past year and a half, we announced commercial partnerships with a range of companies including IKEA, Pilot Company, Werner Enterprises, Forward, U.S. Xpress, and CEVA Logistics. We have demonstrated fundamental tech differentiators such as an on-road fallback, maintaining control of a truck after a catastrophic steer tire blowout, and our hot-swappable SensorPod.
We are looking for a Hardware Engineer with a background in mixed analog and digital systems. Someone who understands the fundamentals of hardware design and test. The role will work closely with the hardware engineering team developing, testing, and integrating low level hardware features. The role will work collaboratively across software, electrical engineering, and integration teams to build safe, reliable systems.
In this role, you will:
- Design circuits at the schematic level using a variety of capture tools
- Design, influence and collaborate with partners on power conditioning, regulation circuits and low frequency analog circuits to meet requirements
- Design and test standard vehicle communication harnessing, from CAN to Automotive Ethernet
- Validation testing for EMI/EMC at the whole truck level down to subcomponents
- Validate automotive electrical systems for transient immunity
- Collaborate with mechanical and firmware engineering teams to validate circuits
- Lead root cause analysis and resolve issues in electrical systems
- Define stress test routines required to validate functional sections
- Validate thermal and power performance of circuits
- Develop and implement ISO 26262 methodologies to drive hardware design to meet ASIL goals.
- Interface closely with other teams such as Software, Mechanical, Manufacturing, and with external component suppliers
- Informative Technical background. BS or MS, or equivalent experience in Electrical, Mechanical, or Computer Engineering
- 2+ years of hardware development experience, ideally within the automotive, aerospace or a related industry
- 2+ years of experience with PCBAs, Harnesses, Power Distribution Units, Power Supplies, and automotive subcomponents
- Deep understanding of mixed analog and digital circuits
- Experience with implementation and on-vehicle debugging of low level hardware buses such as I2C, CAN, SPI, and UART
- Experience with high speed hardware communication such as PCIe and Automotive Ethernet
- Hands on. You are just as comfortable getting your hands dirty analyzing a subsystem in the shop as when using a keyboard.
- Great communicator. You have experience writing clear, concise, and detailed documentation
- Passion. You are passionate about autonomous vehicles and their potential impact on humanity
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation package including equity and biannual bonuses
- Excellent Medical, Dental, and Vision plans through Kaiser Permanente, Anthem, and Guardian (including a medical plan with infertility benefits)
- Flexible PTO and generous parental leave policies
- Office perks: dog-friendly, free catered lunch, a fully stocked kitchen, and free EV charging
- Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability, Life Insurance
- Wellbeing Benefits - Headspace, One Medical, Gympass, Spring Health
- Fidelity 401(k)
- Commuter, FSA, Dependent Care FSA, HSA
- Various incentive programs (referral bonuses, patent bonuses, etc.)
The salary range for this full-time position is $140,000-$200,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. We can share more about the specific salary range for your job level during the hiring process. Please note that the compensation details listed above are base salary only and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At Kodiak, we strive to build a diverse community working towards our common company goals in a safe and collaborative environment where harassment of any kind is strictly prohibited. Kodiak is committed to equal opportunity employment regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
In alignment with its business operations, Kodiak adheres to all relevant U.S. national security statutes, regulations, and administrative prerequisites. These statutes may impose limitations on Kodiak's capacity to engage specific individuals in particular roles based on various national security-related criteria. Consequently, the eligibility for this position may hinge on Kodiak's verification of a candidate's residence, U.S. person status, and/or citizenship status. In accordance with these statutes , Kodiak may find it necessary to secure a U.S. government export license before disseminating its technologies to specific individuals. Should Kodiak determine that a candidate's residence, U.S. person status, and/or citizenship status necessitate a license, prohibit the candidate from assuming this position, or otherwise fall under national security-related restrictions, Kodiak explicitly retains the right to either assess the candidate for an alternative position unaffected by such restrictions, under terms and conditions set forth at Kodiak's sole discretion, or, as an alternative, opt not to proceed with the candidate's application.