Director, Engineering (Remote)
Engineering – Engineering - Payments /
KOHO is a quickly scaling FinTech company backed by leading investors and advisors from around the world. We started KOHO because we believe in doing two things:
Democratizing access to the best financial products and giving everyone a great financial foundation.
Since our journey began 6 years ago, we’ve raised more than $340M, grown the KOHO Collective to over 250 employees, and created accounts for more than 600,000 Canadians.
We're searching for our next leader in our Engineering team! This Director of Payments Engineering will lead the technical effort of building a bank within KOHO. You’ll have multiple agile teams reporting into you, and they’ll be dedicated to building and enhancing core banking software, owning this stack long term and ensuring high quality, high performance solutions are built and made available to the KOHO user base. This role will work closely with the CTO and compliance teams, as well as be externally facing at times.
We’re a growing startup where people have to wear a lot of hats. Some days might be spent at the (virtual) whiteboard, designing a new system. Others might be spent in deep discussion with the product team around what we should build next. We’re looking for someone who can lead by example, and build a world-class team.
Being a Director at KOHO is about blending together leadership and strategy. You are someone who has read “The Manager’s Path” and “An Elegant Puzzle,” and you can speak confidently about Radical Candor and Servant Leadership (and you also know how to drive decisions with urgency).
You’re also a pragmatist who might prefer Rust over Golang, but you know that Golang is a perfectly good language and can get the job done. You have strong opinions, weekly held - but you also want the input of your team and encourage them to speak their opinions. You care deeply about the customer and want to be a true partner to the Product team, not build an organization of ticket takers. Finally, you are a T-Shaped employee who can speak intelligently about the entire stack and have a deep spike in payments technologies.
What You'll Do
- You will be helping to set the technical direction for KOHO Engineering.
- You’re going to be leading teams mandated to build a new Canadian bank.
- You’re a mentor at heart. You like to hire, develop, and train engineering leaders.
- You coach leaders and individual contributors to help them become the best version of themselves.
- You both talk the talk and walk the walk.
- You communicate technically complex concepts with Senior-level executives and achieve buy-in
- Sometimes you’ll have to be a “manager-doer” and you’re not afraid to jump in and help out.
- You want to support your team and you’re someone who can lean in to help the team get major projects over the finish line
- You measure and improve developer productivity metrics
- You like to drive and contribute to department-level initiatives around hiring, career ladder, competencies, compensation, etc.
- Work closely with regulators and external stakeholders to ensure we have a world class banking solution that complies with all requirements from OSFI.
What You'll Bring
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field
- Experience with AWS and managed services like DynamoDB, Aurora, and QLDB
- Experience with banking in Canada, including OSFI audits
- Deep understanding of core banking stacks and build vs buy trade offs
- A collaborative nature with the ability to lead and grow leaders under you
- Strong communication skills (both written and spoken)
- Experience working with 3rd party API integrations and all the challenges that come with it
Joining the (lovely!) KOHO Team
We invest time and resources into making sure KOHO is as good as the people we hire. Here are some of the reasons we attract the best people:
• Balance Your Life - Generous PTO policy and a lifestyle spending account
• Work Anywhere - Permanently remote and $1,000 to set up your home office
• Level Up - Access to an in-house certified performance coach
• Reach Your Goals - Salary assessments twice a year, annual training allowance, maternity & parental leave top up
• The KOHO Culture - We have won 6 "Great Place to Work ®" awards since 2019
The KOHO culture is one of collaboration, creativity, and diverse perspectives. We are committed to building and fostering an inclusive, accessible environment for everyone. If you have any questions, concerns, or requests regarding accessibility needs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and the People and Culture team will be happy to help.