Data Design Associate
Technology – Data Science /
Komaza is revolutionizing African forestry by unlocking the potential for small-scale farmers to serve booming wood markets. By combining high-scale operations with digital intelligence, we are currently planting commercial-grade forests at a rate of over 1 million trees with 5,000+ new farmers per year, making us Kenya’s largest industrial tree planter. We hold the only sustainable blueprint for meeting Africa’s $30B wood supply crisis - by leveraging farmers’ contribution of land and labor, Komaza can access nearly limitless land and establish a hectare of trees for far less than big plantations.
We have been recognized with numerous awards and investments, including The Climate Policy Initiative, The Nature Conservancy, Forbes, and Novastar Ventures.
About the Team
As Komaza’s Data Science team we leverage data to enable Komaza to meet its business, operational and strategic goals, and create disruption through analytics. Our work spans Komaza’s entire value chain from Nursery to Sales and we participate in projects at every stage of the data lifecycle, from devising data capture and structuring methods, through to forecasting and predictive modeling. We work closely with many teams - particularly the Technology team - to complement their efforts with our knowledge and insights of data methods. This year we have been working on projects ranging from carbon financing accreditation to executive dashboard design and delivery.
About this Role
As a Data Design Associate you will be paired with our Data Engineer and play a critical role in assisting the construction of Komaza’s short-term and long-term data architecture as the company looks to scale its operations across Africa. You will also be trusted with transforming unstructured data into formats data teams can use for analysis, assist in designing architecture process flows reflective of existing and new data processes as well as maintaining and designing ETL processes.
What you will do
- Data Design
- Design ERDs reflective of existing databases across various value chain processes
- Facilitate data analytics and ensure consistency in reporting by merging data sources with code.
- Work with the Data Operations Team to translate business needs into long-term solution data models
- Working with the Data Engineer to create data architecture processes supporting Komaza value chain teams
- Assist in the design and development of best practices for data coding to ensure consistency within database system use.
- Assist the Data Engineer in building data systems and pipelines
- Conduct analysis to evaluate implemented data systems for variances, discrepancies, and efficiency
- Combine raw information from complex data sets and assist the BI&DS team in generation of insights to support key business requirements.
- Work closely with department heads to capture shifting business priorities and design data models and processes to support their operations
- Collaborate with the technology team to build data processes inline with the company technology roadmap
- Work closely with leads of the technology and BI&DS teams to strive for greater functionality in our data systems
- Manage and run multiple data projects
- Collaborate with BI and Data Operations in identifying and ensuring data projects are inline with business goals
- Provide perspective on the latest technologies and industry trends to push the team towards world-class practices
What You Should Have
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, Data Engineering or any other related field. Masters preferred.
- 2+ years experience and knowledge with Data Architecture Design and/or related technical experience
- Experience in data integration and/or ETL activities
- Strong knowledge of SQL
- Experience working in fast-paced, demanding environment of a fast-growth company and comfortable wearing many hats
- Project and stakeholder management skills for concurrent, complex projects
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Additional Credit Given if you Have
- Experience with creating and deploying solutions that are hosted in cloud platforms like AWS, Salesforce, Azure or Google Cloud Platform is a plus
- Experience with data-visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, QlikView, Looker) is a plus
- Experience working with data collection and management in remote/rural, challenging environments is a plus
- High energy and enthusiasm; Flexible and self-motivated with the drive to do whatever necessary to get the job done
- Self-directed and intellectually curious - you know how and when to seek feedback in the pursuit of continuous improvement
- Growth-driven with a strong desire for personal development
- A collaborative problem solver who seeks the opinions of other teammates and departments in the development of creative and sustainable systems
What We Expect
This is more than a technical role. It will challenge you to apply your quantitative and qualitative tech skills at a dynamic work environment! We offer a great opportunity to further your career.
What’s in it for you?
Great vision without great people is irrelevant, Jim Collins wisely stated. If you share Komaza’s vision and want to help make it a reality, apply today! We offer a competitive remuneration package and an opportunity to further your career.
Komaza is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.