Government Relations Officer
Corporate Affairs – External Relations /
Who We Are
Komaza is revolutionizing African forestry by unlocking the potential for small-scale farmers to serve booming wood markets. By combining high-scale operations with digital intelligence, we are currently planting commercial-grade forests at a rate of over 1 million trees with 5,000+ new farmers per year, making us Kenya’s largest industrial tree planter. We hold the only sustainable blueprint for meeting Africa’s $30B wood supply crisis - by leveraging farmers’ contribution of land and labor, Komaza can access nearly limitless land and establish a hectare of trees for far less than big plantations.
We have been recognized with numerous awards and investments, including The Climate Policy Initiative, The Nature Conservancy, Forbes, and Novastar Ventures.
About the Team
At Komaza, we take deep pride in working closely with the Kenyan government at the national and county levels as well as relevant ministries to ensure we are taking the best possible actions in support of our farmer communities and the incredible habitats where we plant. Komaza’s External Relations department is one of the newest teams at Komaza and is charged with shaping and fostering these connections. In addition to staying up to date on the latest policies and keeping our government partners well informed of our actions, this team takes a proactive and often innovative approach, partnering with ministries such as the Kenya Forestry Service to shape how safe and sustainable forestry practices can be regulated using the latest advancements in technology.
About the Role
As a member of the External Relations team, you will support the Government Relations Manager to nurture relationships at Sub-County Level with relevant government administrative authorities to ensure that Komaza’s business operations run smoothly and in compliance with the institutions mandated to regulate the Forestry and Agroforestry industry. You’ll also provide management direct reports within the department by collecting data for analytics and management decision making and to help build replicable systems. We're looking for a great communicator who can understand the inner workings of government ranks, complex issues and work to nurture and maintain relationships with the relevant authorities. The role will be supporting Komaza’s offices in Central and Coastal Kenya.
The role will be based in either of the following locations; Central Kenya (Nyandarua County) or Coastal Kenya (Kwale, Kilifi Counties).
What You Will Do
- Build and manage relationships with government officials at the Sub-County level and support other government officials as directed.
- Track and participate in the resolution of risks and issues affecting Field Operations.
- Coordinate Komaza’s involvement in shows and exhibitions relevant to business operations and industry.
- Research and report on new policies or regulatory developments or changes that may affect any of Komaza’s operations, current or future.
- Support strategy drives internally at Komaza – support the Government Relations Manager to support implementation of short term and long term goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures.
- Support in public-private partnerships by identifying opportunities in the private sector to drive efficient service delivery.
- Support in following up on regulatory approvals, operational licenses, and permits with government regulators to support the Field Operations activities.
- Support in coordinating internal and external field events which include input delivery visits, harvest visits, and exhibition days among others.
- Support in conducting regular audits to ensure Komaza's operations are in line with Kenyan Government laws & policies guidelines.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Government Relations Manager.
What You Have
- Bachelor's degree in Sociology, International Development/Relations, Public Policy, Government Relations, Business Administration, or any other related field.
- At least 3 to 5 years of relevant experience e.g. in supporting successful development and implementation of local aid community initiatives, developing policy for social enterprises, or other related experience.
- Experience in working for a political, non-profit, or other social enterprises that concern an idea for a movement or a product.
- Extensive knowledge of national and county government on legislative processes, procedures, and protocols.
- Strong communication skills - both written and verbal form.
- Ability to build and nurture relationships and manage people
- Able to apply problem-solving and analytical skills in balancing and addressing business needs and government requirements.
- Quick-witted and intellectually curious to stay up to date on current industry trends and government updates.
- Enthusiastic team player who can work cross-functionally with other departments and partners.
- Demonstrates good emotional intelligence awareness and conflict resolution.
What’s in it for you?
Great vision without great people is irrelevant, Jim Collins wisely stated. If you share Komaza’s vision and want to help make it a reality then this is the role for you. You’ll get a chance to work at our Central or Coastal Kenya Offices. We offer a competitive remuneration package and an opportunity to further your career.
Komaza is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.