Staff Software Engineer - Platform Services - (Remote or SF)
United States /
Engineering – Engineering /
Are you ready to power the World's connections?
Kong creates software and managed services that connect APIs and microservices natively across and within clouds, Kubernetes, data centers and more using intelligent automation. Built on an open source core, Kong’s service connectivity platform enables digital innovation by allowing organizations to reliably and securely manage the full lifecycle of APIs and services for modern architectures, including microservices, serverless and service mesh. By providing developer teams with unprecedented architectural freedom, Kong accelerates innovation cycles, increases productivity, and seamlessly bridges legacy and modern systems and applications. For more information about Kong, please visit konghq.com or follow @thekonginc on Twitter.
Follow us on LinkedIn for more “Life at Kong” nuggets! 2020 Kong Summit Highlight Video
About the role:
You will be responsible for delivering high visibility and impact features for Kong Konnect, our PaaS offering. Working closely with Engineering and Product Management teams, you will develop software components that will materially impact customer’s and Kong’s business and contribute to complex product integration efforts as we continue to develop our suite of products. You will also help to maintain a streamlined build and test CI/CD system.
What you'll be doing:
- Work on large impact, high visibility features that drive business
- Maintain and extend Kong Konnect services to support application features
- Write automated tests to ensure behavior of code and avoid regressions
- Maintain the CI/CD systems needed to deliver a high quality product
- Provide design specific feedback on product/technology vision and strategy, and help senior management to inform and incorporate into technical architecture roadmap
- Proactively analyze recurring design defects and establish design practices for early detection and avoidance across all features of the product team
- Put teamwide best practices in place for architecture, design, and development before implementation starts
- Mentor other team members
- And any additional tasks required by manager
What you'll bring:
- 8+ years working in a team to develop, package and deliver applications
- Experience designing, prototyping, building and debugging server platforms and applications that are highly scalable, reliable, and resilient
- Experience writing and consuming various APIs
- Experience with data modeling in relational and no-SQL databases
- Comfortable with git and Github workflow
- Experience with test-driven development and automated testing
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills -- engineers at Kong write the documentation for their products
- Experience developing and supporting a large scale SaaS platform
- Deep experience with Golang and/or Rust
- Working knowledge of containerization and Kubernetes
- Understanding of advanced topics in the SaaS space such as version lifecycle management, high availability, scalability considerations, etc.
What is a Konger? (see our company values below…)
We are a group of makers, thinkers, and doers focused on helping today’s developers build tomorrow’s technology. Our teams work on the bleeding edge of API innovation to provide our users with a central nervous system for data and services.
We put design at the heart of everything we do, and we’re relentlessly focused on creating beautiful experiences for our customers. That’s why technology companies, major banks, e-commerce innovators, and government agencies put Kong in front of their most important web applications.
We believe in the power of Open Source and everything it stands for. That’s why developers around the world enthusiastically contribute on top of our open-source platform.
We are passionate about solving challenges that will fundamentally shape the future of technology, and we’re looking for the right people to join us on our mission. If you believe in taking ownership of your work, making an impact, and having fun along the way, we would love to talk to you.
Kong Core Values:
Be Inclusive. We work together from anywhere to achieve our common goals. Our differences make us stronger.
Be Authentic. We are genuine, principled and confident without arrogance. Show respect and kindness, especially in tough moments.
Be Relentlessly Resourceful. We work with purpose, obsession and grit. It takes muscle to do hard things and doing hard things build muscle.
Be Customer Obsessed. We care. Customers are everything, we put them at the center of everything you do. We are all empowered to make an impact.
Be Curious. We value ideas over hierarchy. Never accept the status quo. We make bold bets, fail, and learn everyday. There is always a way.
Be an Owner. We are drivers not passengers and own the quality and outcomes of our work.