Staff Performance Test Engineer (Remote)
United States /
Engineering – QE /
Are you ready to power the World's connections?
If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria below but are still interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box - we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.
About the role:
The Performance Test Engineer is an integral part of the engineering team. Focusing mainly on test scoping, performance impact analysis, test script creation and review across various platforms. Measure end-user experience, system performance as well as benchmarking and provide performance engineering optimization/tuning recommendations to improve our products.
Why should you want to work at Kong?
Market Opportunity - We are on a quest to build a $10b+ software company over the next few years and need YOUR help!
- APIs are driving innovation across every industry!
- Strong VC team, Series D, strong year over year revenue growth!
Technical Leadership - We are recognized as the leader in innovation in the connectivity space.
- Marco, our CTO/co-founder - “We are the Cisco of L4 and L7” - CUBE Conversation, March 2021
- We are the leading innovator in the connectivity space!
Amazing Team & Culture - Come be a "Konger" and find out what we mean.
- Great Place to Work Certified in 2020 & 2021
- Kong employees discuss our culture at our 2020 Company Kickoff
Building Great Products - Learn why the world's largest companies love our tech!
What you'll be doing:
- Write and execute various types of non functional performance tests (eg. Load / Stress / Soak / Chaos).
- Define and report metrics of performance test run executions.
- Involved in test planning, writing test cases/scripts, test case automation.
- Utilize industry-standard monitoring platforms to identify areas of risk. Communicate these risks to the engineering teams and plan test coverage around them.
- Generate performance reports and articulate the results to the engineering teams.
- Work collaboratively with Engineering, CX and Product teams to understand business requirements and application architecture and translate those into performance tests.
- Create required test fixtures and data loads for performance test runs.
- Provide support and assist engineering teams with debugging reported performance issues.
- Proactively investigate and resolve technical issues in the performance test environments.
- Analyze results, compare against SLAs, benchmark and provide tuning recommendations to improve end-user experience and overall performance of our products.
- Develop features to enhance the performance testing experience including environment creation, test execution, automation in results/metrics gathering.
- Champion and provide overall technical guidance on the performance testing strategies for our products and services, across the organization.
What you'll bring:
- Functional and non-functional testing experience, including defining test strategy, test planning, test case design, automation, execution, and reporting.
- Recent exposure to a startup environment building and contributing to a test framework, including automation, from the ground up.
- Demonstrated skills using code repositories and Atlassian tools (GitHub, JIRA, Confluence, or similar tools).
- A passion for testing, development, and solving challenging technical problems.
- Ability to prioritize test activities and testing tasks.
- Solid experience testing in enterprise-grade monolithic and micro-service architectures.
- Solid experience with industry-standard diagnostic, profiling and performance testing tools.
- Strong understanding of distributed systems and their key aspects around latency, scalability, replication, consistency, reliability, and other non-functional types of tests.
- Extensive experience building scalability, failover, stress, and other non-functional tests.
- Experience building, supporting, and maintaining automation frameworks in CI/CD environments.
- Experience testing full tech stack of products: Frontend, APIs, and Backend.
- Advanced skills in analyzing load results to pinpoint performance issues and bottlenecks.
- Experience working with globally distributed teams.
- Experience in testing high-availability Enterprise scale and SaaS offerings.
- Experience measuring and testing quality for a high-availability PaaS or SaaS offering.
- Experience with containers (Docker) and container orchestration systems (ECS, Kubernetes, and Docker Swarm/Data Center).
- Experience with enterprise cloud computing technologies and architectures such as AWS.
- Experience with Control and Data planes.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
What is a Konger?
We are a group of makers, thinkers, and doers focused on helping today’s developers build tomorrow’s technology. Our teams work on the bleeding edge of API innovation to provide our users with a central nervous system for data and services.
We put design at the heart of everything we do, and we’re relentlessly focused on creating beautiful experiences for our customers. That’s why technology companies, major banks, e-commerce innovators, and government agencies put Kong in front of their most important web applications.
We believe in the power of Open Source and everything it stands for. That’s why developers around the world enthusiastically contribute on top of our open-source platform.
We are passionate about solving challenges that will fundamentally shape the future of technology, and we’re looking for the right people to join us on our mission. If you believe in taking ownership of your work, making an impact, and having fun along the way, we would love to talk to you.
Kong Core Values:
Be Inclusive. We work together from anywhere to achieve our common goals. Our differences make us stronger.
Be Authentic. We are genuine, principled and confident without arrogance. Show respect and kindness, especially in tough moments.
Be Relentlessly Resourceful. We work with purpose, obsession and grit. It takes muscle to do hard things and doing hard things build muscle.
Be Customer Obsessed. We care. Customers are everything, we put them at the center of everything you do. We are all empowered to make an impact.
Be Curious. We value ideas over hierarchy. Never accept the status quo. We make bold bets, fail, and learn everyday. There is always a way.
Be an Owner. We are drivers not passengers and own the quality and outcomes of our work.
Kong creates software and managed services that connect APIs and microservices natively across and within clouds, Kubernetes, data centers and more using intelligent automation. Built on an open source core, Kong’s service connectivity platform enables digital innovation by allowing organizations to reliably and securely manage the full lifecycle of APIs and services for modern architectures, including microservices, serverless and service mesh. By providing developer teams with unprecedented architectural freedom, Kong accelerates innovation cycles, increases productivity, and seamlessly bridges legacy and modern systems and applications. For more information about Kong, please visit konghq.com or follow @thekonginc on Twitter.