Senior Software Engineering Manager, Managed Data Plane (Remote)
United States /
Engineering – Cloud Applications /
Are you ready to power the World's connections?
If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria below but are still interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box - we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.
About the role:
As a Senior Manager on the Kong Cloud Gateway team, you will be working closely with the team as well as with other key stakeholders across the company to design, architect and build out Kong's next-generation API Gateway platform as a service.
Your team owns the core orchestration platform of the Kong Cloud Gateways. If a customer builds a new Kong Gateway, makes changes to it or a spike in traffic happens, it's this software that knows how to move all of the pieces and makes all the needed changes actually happen in the backend.
This platform enables resilient, scalable and seamless orchestration of compute and network components across the different public clouds and delivers a fully managed, highly available and super efficient Kong Gateway platform to all our cloud customers around the world.
Why should you want to work at Kong?
Market Opportunity - We are on a quest to build a $10b+ software company over the next few years and need YOUR help!
- APIs are driving innovation across every industry!
- Strong VC team, Series D, strong year over year revenue growth!
Technical Leadership - We are recognized as the leader in innovation in the connectivity space.
- Marco, our CTO/co-founder - “We are the Cisco of L4 and L7” - CUBE Conversation, March 2021
- We are the leading innovator in the connectivity space!
Amazing Team & Culture - Come be a "Konger" and find out what we mean.
- Great Place to Work Certified in 2020 & 2021
- Kong employees discuss our culture at our 2020 Company Kickoff
Building Great Products - Learn why the world's largest companies love our tech!
What you'll be doing:
- Deliver product features and functionalities for the Kong Cloud web application,
- Scale Kong Web applications to hundreds of thousands of customers including localization, accessibility.
- Hire, mentor and maintain healthy Engineering teams who value collaboration and innovation
- Manage through uncertainty and work closely with product management to deliver novel software solutions to customer problems.
- Organize and manage your teams to fit constructively into the department as a whole and help the company succeed.
- Give constructive feedback to Engineers, conduct 1:1’s, perform performance reviews and strive for continuous improvement.
- Suggest guidelines, principles and processes to improve the Engineering org.
- Assure high quality work and SLA adherence.
What you'll bring:
- 4+ years of Eng management experience.
- 8+ years of PaaS/IaaS development, including hands-on-keyboard contributions as a devops engineer.
- Experience managing remote teams, doing reviews, hiring, comp.
- Demonstrated leadership of Engineering teams.
- Proven customer relationship skills sets.
- Experience developing with Golang, Python and Infrastructure As Code frameworks.
- Experience running and supporting Saas PaaS/IaaS at scale including monitoring, distributed tracing and altering.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
What is a Konger?
We are a group of makers, thinkers, and doers focused on helping today’s developers build tomorrow’s technology. Our teams work on the bleeding edge of API innovation to provide our users with a central nervous system for data and services.
We put design at the heart of everything we do, and we’re relentlessly focused on creating beautiful experiences for our customers. That’s why technology companies, major banks, e-commerce innovators, and government agencies put Kong in front of their most important web applications.
We believe in the power of Open Source and everything it stands for. That’s why developers around the world enthusiastically contribute on top of our open-source platform.
We are passionate about solving challenges that will fundamentally shape the future of technology, and we’re looking for the right people to join us on our mission. If you believe in taking ownership of your work, making an impact, and having fun along the way, we would love to talk to you.
Kong Core Values:
Be Inclusive. We work together from anywhere to achieve our common goals. Our differences make us stronger.
Be Authentic. We are genuine, principled and confident without arrogance. Show respect and kindness, especially in tough moments.
Be Relentlessly Resourceful. We work with purpose, obsession and grit. It takes muscle to do hard things and doing hard things build muscle.
Be Customer Obsessed. We care. Customers are everything, we put them at the center of everything you do. We are all empowered to make an impact.
Be Curious. We value ideas over hierarchy. Never accept the status quo. We make bold bets, fail, and learn everyday. There is always a way.
Be an Owner. We are drivers not passengers and own the quality and outcomes of our work.
Kong creates software and managed services that connect APIs and microservices natively across and within clouds, Kubernetes, data centers and more using intelligent automation. Built on an open source core, Kong’s service connectivity platform enables digital innovation by allowing organizations to reliably and securely manage the full lifecycle of APIs and services for modern architectures, including microservices, serverless and service mesh. By providing developer teams with unprecedented architectural freedom, Kong accelerates innovation cycles, increases productivity, and seamlessly bridges legacy and modern systems and applications. For more information about Kong, please visit konghq.com or follow @thekonginc on Twitter.